PDA

View Full Version : Water saving................

woodcarver
02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Watts Premier
Zero-waste
Reverse Osmosis System

$379.99

Item # 751465
Shipping & Handling included

Just noticed this on Costco site seems like a good way to conserve water . ( sorry could not seem to be able to copy and paste picture !)
Seems like the waste gets recycled into the hot water system.
Watts also offer a kit to convert existing systems .
Always worried about all that water going down the sink for a few gallons of R.O. .......................
Dave

Joe Reefer
02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
It seems to good to be true, how can this be?

Midknight
02-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Here the link.

http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10289835&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

Chad
02-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Its zero waste because it puts the waste water into your hotwater supply.

http://www.premierh2o.com/watts/showdetl.cfm?&DID=15&Product_ID=121&CATID=1

Opps, just noticed you already said how its gets zero waste.. really big deal.. you don't have to drain it as it is.. you can use it for washing or whatever. They just make more convenient for you. But it looks to be that it is just a pump and a solinoid. Probably by the parts cheaper on Ebay and make it yourself.

woodcarver
02-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Hey Chad ,Don't shoot the messenger !! Just sharing information . Not many people I hear of that save the waste water to wash their socks :) :)
...............Dave

Chad
02-23-2007, 01:39 AM
Hey Chad ,Don't shoot the messenger !! Just sharing information . Not many people I hear of that save the waste water to wash their socks :) :)
...............Dave

Sorry Dave,

Don't mean to come off like that.. I mean "big deal" to their zero waste claim when really its nothing special. If it was zero rejection then I would be jumping up and down :) .. as for the washing their socks. Most people don't care, and look at waste water as a commodity to throw away, while others use it for watering their garden, washing etc etc..

woodcarver
02-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Understood Chad :):)
.....................Dave

StirCrazy
02-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Ok, just went to there site and read this in the FAQ's

"Isn't Water Wasted Down The Drain With R.O. Systems?
There is a certain percentage of water from the system that goes to the drain. This water is carrying away the impurities. These particles are too small to be caught by the filters. Premier has an automatic shut-off valve that shuts off the flow of water to the drain when the holding tank is full. This valve stops the R.O. system from continuously running water down the drain, thus conserving water via the R.O. system working only according to usage."

so really while you are running it, it will waist just as much water as any other RO.

I think this is intended for the marker that continuously leave there RO running on the pressure tank system and there for you have some waist 24/7. if used like we typically use and RO there is no difference in waist over another brand.

Steve

woodcarver
02-24-2007, 02:14 AM
Hey Steve . The FAQ you are referring to applies to their regular R.O. systems. You need to look up their zero waste model . As it says the waste is fed back into the hot water plumbing so NO water goes down the drain.
As Chad pointed out it is a very simple concept but nice to see it on the market and could be a consideration especially for someone without R.O. and contemplating purchase.
.......................Dave

StirCrazy
02-26-2007, 02:30 AM
As it says the waste is fed back into the hot water plumbing so NO water goes down the drain.

.......................Dave

you got a link for that one? I would have to read that as it doesn't make sence as that would put the same pressure on both sides of the membrain.. so either I am not thinking right or they are doing something different

Steve

Chad
02-26-2007, 03:01 AM
The use a pump to push the waste water into the hot water tank.

Website is down so I cannot get a link

woodcarver
02-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks Chad !

Steve the Watts site is up and if you search for zero waste R.O. they have a schematic .
Sorry not sure how to send link :( :(
..............Dave

woodcarver
02-27-2007, 12:54 AM
http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull_tree.asp?catId=66&parCat=587&pid=3463&ref=2

That's better :) :)

....................Dave

mark
02-27-2007, 01:41 AM
so the pressure of the booster pump forces the membrane by-pass water back into supply, overcoming the city pressure to a max of 80 psi?

StirCrazy
02-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't waist the money on it. at 25gpd it is a very small system and by the looks of its set p you couldn't really put a 160 gpd membrane in there as the hot water system can only handle so much waist before it would over pressure and cause problems.

seams to me to be a fake tree hugger effect.. save water, but use more electricity.

anyhow you can always rout the discharge of a normal ro unit to a big container and use it for watering the garden, or making the kids a hockey rink, or taking a bath..

Steve