PDA

View Full Version : Water Change question

andsoitgoes
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
I've made up some water a few weeks ago, but with my girls being sick and then just not being able to get the time needed to do it properly, it's been sitting - I've added Liquid Reactor (it's in a 20g garbage can) last week and am keeping it topped up to hold the salinity.

I know that no matter what, some of the good stuff will have percipitated off, but will there be enough good left to use it for a water change? It's been circulating nicely with a couple of power heads... I just don't want to have to drain an entire 20g can and start from scratch if I can help it.

Thanks!!

Nick

niloc16
02-21-2007, 07:39 PM
the water will be fine just check your salinity before adding it. i'm not sure what is meant by good stuff precipitated off.

Joe Reefer
02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
It will be fine....just make sure your salinity and temp. are corresponding. If your not already doing so having a lid on the can will help keep light out and slow down evaporation.

andsoitgoes
02-21-2007, 07:49 PM
It's in a nice dark place, and the lid WAS on until I accidentally knocked it off =/

It's in my closet, far in the back :) It's got a heater so the temp is stable, I do know that the salinity was a bit higher, but I've added RO water to balance that.,

I've understood that things like the calcium in the salt can evaporate out with the water, which was my concern with having it cycling so long. Maybe not? :)

Ruth
02-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Why do you think it would precipitate out any more in a bucket (where nothing is using up any of the elements) than it would in your tank? I have never understood this reasoning and have asked on a couple of other boards and the answer I consistently get is that nothing is wrong with leaving your water mixed up, heated and airated in a covered bucket for extended periods of time.

Delphinus
02-21-2007, 08:26 PM
I always keep about 30g SW made up at any time. You never know when you may need some SW in a hurry. And I just this stuff for water changes when the water change comes due and I then make up some new.

untamed
02-21-2007, 09:12 PM
I've understood that things like the calcium in the salt can evaporate out with the water, which was my concern with having it cycling so long. Maybe not? :)

Nope. The only thing that can evaporate from the SW is water.

Joe Reefer
02-21-2007, 09:18 PM
To bad nitrates don't evaporate. :mrgreen:

Chad
02-22-2007, 12:10 AM
I've always had issues with nitrates creeping up on change water that I just let cycle. So now I mix on the spot but keep a 45 gallon drum of fresh RO water on the go and heated w/o a circulation pump.

Ruth
02-22-2007, 12:35 AM
I've always had issues with nitrates creeping up on change water that I just let cycle. So now I mix on the spot but keep a 45 gallon drum of fresh RO water on the go and heated w/o a circulation pump.

How the heck would nitrates get into change water? I'm confused? What would be in there to start a cycle?

Matt
02-22-2007, 02:44 AM
I've always had issues with nitrates creeping up on change water that I just let cycle. So now I mix on the spot but keep a 45 gallon drum of fresh RO water on the go and heated w/o a circulation pump.The really fresh water is chemically "hot" and not a great addition to the tank... It should cure before use if at all possible.

I personally mix water as soon as I can after a water change, and keep it on hand. It saved my bacon twice when I had major tank failures. I don't test the water, but I can't figure out what would cause nitrates... There aren't (should not be) any ammonia sources (organics), and there shouldn't be any nitrifying bacteria.

EmilyB
02-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Sometimes if you keep your saltwater heated, it will precipitate and you will see chalk all over the sides of the container. I've always still used it, and try to remember to keep the heater off if I keep SW for extended periods of time.

KrazyKuch
02-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Apparently some salts contain a little Nitrates in them or even if you are just using tap water...

but if your using RO I Don't think anything will happen to it....I leave my made up water for a week or so before I add it to the tank and I have never seen any effects from it sitting their!!

Chad
02-22-2007, 03:09 AM
I've gone through this before on this forum :) I have no idea "where" the nitrates are coming from, they just seem to pop up. Its fresh RO/DI.. I've not tested the new salt I am using to see if it happens there, but it was a given when I used Kent, that after a few days, nitrates would be up to 5.. and before the end of the week I could count on them being around 20.

As for "chemically Hot" ... never had a problem with immediately mixed water.. so, I'm not about to change.. but to each their own :) Most people say to let it sit 24 hours so it can mix well, but I use a drill driven paint mixer that takes a 45 gallon bucket and turns it into a whirlpool in no time.. so, mixing is not an issue :)