PDA

View Full Version : Help!?!?!?!

Synthesis
02-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Ok here is the problem. I have now gone through 2 btas(1 rbta and gbta). Both have had the same death. I wake up in the morning to find them both in pieces in a corner of the tank. And i mean pieces.

There are 2 things that I think may be the cause of this. 1: they went for a ride in the current and got caught in one of the SEIOs. 2: Mantis shrimp? I can hear the click click click of one but have yet to spot him. 1 of my chromises are MIA this morning....

What bothers me if its a SEIO is that wouldnt this also happen with any other type of powerhead...such as a tunze? Even a closed loop intake could have this happen.

This has blown my mind and I hate having these disasters as they are also not beneficial to the water quality of the tank.

Please your opinions would be much appreciated.

I have a thread build on RC if anyone wants to know the specs of the tank:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=964757

Chowder
02-21-2007, 09:06 PM
I have gone through three in two different tanks. Each time it has been a powerhead that has taken them out. Bta's have a tendency to move when there not happy with the flow or lighting in your tank. Each time it was a different type of powerhead.(rio and hagen)

KrazyKuch
02-22-2007, 02:53 AM
what size of tank, type of lights, how long has it been running and what are your water perameters?

Quagmire
02-22-2007, 03:09 AM
Due to the fact you found them in pieces my vote is on the power head,when mine got caught in my intake it was all in pieces also.It can happen with any intake that isn't screened off in some way.

Snappy
02-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Seio powerhaeds IME/IMO are non-sighted invert magnets. I have had BTA's and many seahares get sucked into them. That hasn't happened with my Tunze's, at least not so far.

Moogled
02-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Man, I knew I wasn't crazy when I made that Powerhead Deaths thread.

Damn you, SEIOs!! >=(

Der_Iron_Chef
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
What does one consider to be "screened off" though? Are people putting mesh over the Tunze Nanostreams?

Quagmire
02-23-2007, 12:05 AM
On my anemone tank I have an internal overflow(undrilled tank)with window screen over it.Then have the pump intake in the overflow.That works well,but for Tunze or seio,I have no idea how to screen something like that off.Other power heads you can use the foam prefilter,but then you have the added maintenance of cleaning them daily to prevent No3. I do have one anemone in my reef tank,with 1 nano stream and 1 MJ1200 and no screening,so far Ive been lucky enough that the BTA is happy where its at.