PDA

View Full Version : Fraggin Colt coral and other leathers

Beermaster
02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Looking at fraggin a colt and a leather that are getting taken over by GSP

i am unable to remove them from the tank, is it okay to frag them in the tank? and how would i go about doing this?

Also looking at fraggin the frogspawn as well, it is getting quite large and needs room lol

Beermaster
02-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Also if there is any good sites out there on coral fraggin (propagation) please feel free to post them as well, would love to learn more

kwirky
02-21-2007, 12:12 AM
how come you can't frag them out of the tank?

here's an excellent place to start:

http://www.fragoutpost.com/

and there's garf.org, but they're a little dated and hard to browse.

Beermaster
02-21-2007, 12:22 AM
the coral has grown into the rock and it is a supporting rock, if it gets removed we would have to auga scape the whole damn thing
(not good)

Matt
02-21-2007, 01:28 AM
Mark,
I've read that it is a bad idea to frag colt in the aquarium, but I've done it a couple of times, just took a scalpel-sharp knife in and slice-aroo. However, I've read that the elastic band or string method to choke off a section is preferred when fragging in the tank. It takes a day or two to get to the point where it falls or can be cut off without releasing any goo.

trilinearmipmap
02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
I have fragged my colts in the tank many times. I know it is bad form but I did it many times anyways. None of the other corals seemed to mind.

The problem with fragging a colt is not making the frag (easy to cut with scissors or a razor blade) but having the frag attach. Using the sewing thread method I had only a 50% success rate, with rubber bands the success rate was even less.

The best method I have found is the gradual strangulation method using a large zip tie. Over about a week, constrict the zip tie until it is almost closed, then snip of the remaining narrow part of the colt. It is easier to get it to attach this way because the constricted area after cutting will be hard and take a sewing needle and thread better.

ponokareefer
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
You could check out this site: fragoutpost.com.

Ryan

Murminator
02-21-2007, 09:47 PM
I have hacked up corals in a 20 gal with no prob if it's in yer ol' mans 175 it won't be a prob butcher away :mrgreen:

Beermaster
02-21-2007, 09:55 PM
I have hacked up corals in a 20 gal with no prob if it's in yer ol' mans 175 it won't be a prob butcher away :mrgreen:
Yup its in his 180

we have to do some major cleaning up of corals, he is getting so over grown

Murminator
02-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Yup its in his 180

we have to do some major cleaning up of corals, he is getting so over grown

Well just haul them all to my house I don't have that problem
:mrgreen: