PDA

View Full Version : Hypersaline dip for new live rock

BCOrchidGuy
02-20-2007, 05:13 AM
Can anyone recommend what s.g. I should use for a hypersaline dip for new live rock? I hope to be buying my rock this weekend or next and want to make sure nothing unwanted makes it into the tank. I only want to irritate any inverts that may be hitching but I don't want to kill anything by shocking it.

Doug

Reefer Rob
02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd never heard of this until I read your post, so naturally I had to look into it. Sounds interesting. It seems a sg of 1.035 to 1.040 for 1 minute will drive out the pests but not kill them. Let me know how it goes.

trilinearmipmap
02-20-2007, 07:34 PM
I have never done this but I have read anywhere from 1.035 to 1.050

Check out the seahorse.org forums, it is a routine there to treat live rock to get rid of bristleworms which are a hazard to seahorses.

I am afraid some of the annoying things like aiptasia will survive a hypersaline dip though.

Ruth
02-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I have also heard that a quick dunk in club soda will make the nasties literally jump out of the rock. It is not supposed to hurt anything if you do it quickly.

Johnny Reefer
02-20-2007, 08:45 PM
I am afraid some of the annoying things like aiptasia will survive a hypersaline dip though.
Do you mean you're not sure, or "Unfortunately, the fact is.....some of the annoying things like aipatsia....."

Thanx much and cheers,

Kronk
02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I have heard that increasing the SG wont drive many critters out of the rock but a freshwater or club soda dip will for sure, but dont go for too long especially if you have zoos on the rock...

trilinearmipmap
02-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Do you mean you're not sure, or "Unfortunately, the fact is.....some of the annoying things like aipatsia....."

Thanx much and cheers,

I mean I'm not sure, but since Aiptasia seems to resist most extermination methods I wouldn't expect a hypersaline dip to kill it. Best to ask someone who's done it.

kwirky
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Aiptasia seems to resist most extermination methods

best I heard was the guy who took a soldering torch to his rock and burnt the aiptasia off :twised:

Reefer Rob
02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
I did that to a big one when I switched tanks. I guarantee he's not coming back :wink: Just be sure to wear safety goggles.