PDA

View Full Version : A sand sifter that will survive in my fowlr

hqgc
02-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Hello
I am looking for some recomendations for a sand sifter in my fowlr. I tried a sand sifting star but my triggers eventually made lunch of him. My tank specs are below in my signature.
Any Ideas?

EmilyB
02-20-2007, 02:02 AM
Well, I'll offer this up, but your triggers might be different than my Picasso relative (Black Blotch).

I've got two tiger tails that I've had forever. I didn't know what would happen when I removed my sand bed, but they are still there intact, hiding in the rock and I find them often when I am reworking my rock structure.

I wouldn't want to suggest this and have your triggers rip it apart causing potential harm, so it is just something that works for me. :smile:

tranvictor
02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I used Sand Sifting snails, my experience was that my Picasso left them alone. That might help.

DanG
03-15-2007, 02:48 AM
How about something like a conch? A strawberry conch for a smaller tank, or bigger tank you could go with a spider conch.

hqgc
03-15-2007, 03:37 AM
How about something like a conch? A strawberry conch for a smaller tank, or bigger tank you could go with a spider conch.

I think I will try one.

Dave C
03-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Horseshoe crab?

daddy01
03-16-2007, 05:45 PM
I got a "gold head sleeper" fish that really cleaned up my sand. Paul's aquarium in Surrey has them

Ticketyboo
03-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I have a Black Sand Sifting cucumber... what an amazing creature to watch... he has about 6 arms at the front and grabs pockets of sand and ingests it, and spits clean sand out the rear whilst taking in whatever nutrients it does... i have combined this was a sand sifting starfish and a massive 4 inch conch.... those all work well for me in my predator tank so it may work for you...

deep_six
03-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I introduced a banded goby in my tank. It has has done a great job with the sandbed and has quite a personality also. Not sure how your triggers would be with him though.

hqgc
03-19-2007, 12:04 AM
My wrasse does a good job of sifting the sand, keeps about 2/3's of the sand pretty clean. For the last 1/3..... my fingers.
That is only till I can find a conch or a cucumber.
This is my first time keeping a wrasse; what a wicked fish. Great personality, fun to watch at feeding time as he goes head to head with the triggers.