PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Plumbing

Palster
02-18-2007, 02:51 PM
I am currently in the middle of building my 135 gallon FOWLR setup. The next step is to get the tank drilled. The tank will be located in the basement up against a wall with a closet on the other side of the wall. My intent is to have the plumbing go through the wall with the sump/refugium and return pump located inside the closet. I have to take the tank to the glass shop to have holes drilled for the bulkheads and I was wondering if it would be better to have the drain and return lines go through the back of the tank and directly through the wall or through the bottom of the tank and use a 90 degree elbow to get them through the wall(the bottom pane is non tempered and drillable). I think it would look better aesthetically if the lines went through the back of the tank as the bottom of the stand is open but if I ever want to sell or re-use this tank with a sump underneath it then it would be better if the lines went through the bottom of the tank. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Maybe Marc (Fudge) can offer me some more advice on this.

bassman
02-18-2007, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't put them on the bottom. If yor return pump fails your entire tank will drain.

Palster
02-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't put them on the bottom. If yor return pump fails your entire tank will drain.

I guess I should have clarified this. I still intend on building an overflow box so that it wont completely drain the tank. It's just a matter of how to route the drain and return lines coming out of the overflow box?

Tangman
02-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I like the idea of the bulk heads out the back of the tank, mind you , you still have to have a strainer or a over flow of some kind. you are right though resale would probably be not good as bottom drill tanks are more desirabe.
But I say go for the back bulk head idea , I like it !
And keep us posted in the Tank Journal section

Palster
02-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your input Tangman. After doing some more research on wetwebmedia.com I am kind of leaning towards having the bulkheads on the back of the tank. Now I have to decide on overflow or screen/strainer design. I plan on doing a journal of this build as soon as I get a little bit further into the project. I just finished building my own wooden lighting canopy for this tank.

Kabong
02-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Chances are the bottom pane of glass is tempered anyway's.
So basicaly undrillabel anyway.