Josh23
11-14-2002, 12:44 PM
that pretty much says it all.
What is the best way to decrease my Ph.
thanks
Josh

Aquattro
11-14-2002, 02:28 PM
Josh, how high is your pH and how did it get there?

Delphinus
11-14-2002, 02:48 PM
To me pH is one of those things that, if everything else is in check, you never have to worry or wonder about where it is. Buffering, alkalinity, Ca values, nitrates, salinity, etc. all have an effect. Better to look at the cause and treat that, than to try to treat the symptoms. So I guess I would echo Brad's question, where is your pH at right now, and any ideas on how it got there?

Josh23
11-14-2002, 03:03 PM
I add nothing to the tank but water changes.
Im not sure how it got up to 8.8
Everything else is ok
Amonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
I have heard that using vinager or soda water will help decrease this problem
Josh

Aquattro
11-14-2002, 03:57 PM
No. If you can't explain why it is so high, the first thing I would check is the test kit/probe. A tank will not get to 8.8 just in it's own. Something significant would contribute to this. Read the article below, it should be a good starting point. And confirm your testing method :shock:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

Canadian
11-14-2002, 11:48 PM
First of all, what test kit/probe are using to arrive at this value, and have you taken additional measurements with other kits/probes to validate the accuracy?

Josh23
11-15-2002, 01:22 AM
Im using a hagen test kit which is aways worked for me before.
I dont have a test probe.
I did however test my tap water and it registard at about a 8.3.
I dont think there is anything wrong with the kit.
Thats all I have done.
Josh

Aquattro
11-15-2002, 02:22 AM
Josh, take a sealed container completely full to your LFS ands see if they can confirm your results. I don't think it's possible for a tank to go to 8.8 without adding something!

Canadian
11-15-2002, 02:28 AM
Hagen test kits tend to be regarded as . . . um . . . shall I say unreliable. While it's difficult to screw up a pH test kit, Hagen is capable of anything they set their minds to. Irregularities in storage prior to and after purchase can have a serious affect on the accuracy of a reagent dependent test kit. Bottom line: before you go chasing numbers, make sure that you really need to in the first place.

Canadian
11-15-2002, 02:42 AM
Also, if you do take a sample of water to your LFS to have it tested, make sure that you take it directly to the LFS. i.e. Don't go grocery shopping, stop by the bank, take the kids to soccer practice, and then drop in at the LFS.