PDA

View Full Version : How to add a DSB?

fishboy
11-14-2002, 04:05 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking about adding a DSB to my existing tank. It currently has about 1" of crushed coral and has been running for aver a year now. Can I just add the sand over the crushed coral and mix it in a bit?

Also I have a fair amount of coral and fish in the tank. Will the milky water bother them or cause the tank to cycle again?

Anyone here actually tried this before?

zulu_principle
11-14-2002, 04:19 AM
I have done this before, but the tank was less than 3 months old.

No problems with the fish, NH3, etc.

The best way I found to move the sand to where you wanted it and thus reduce the cloudy water was to use a 2" PVC pipe and push the substrate through the pipe right to the bottom.

Zulu

EmilyB
11-14-2002, 04:53 AM
The only problem I encountered when changing my tank over to a sand bed years ago was adding it too quickly (I was told). I would go very slowly, pvc works good as suggested. Otherwise you will suffocate the life forms below.

Aside from that, having the mixed bed has never caused me any nitrate problems.

BTW, you wouldn't want to mix it....as in stir things up...

Eventually, the larger pieces come to the top anyway :)

Canadian Man
11-14-2002, 05:02 AM
Great advice so far.
You are going through a similar situation to what happened in my 90g tank.

I started off with a 1" layer of more course sand and added sugar type sand in 4 stages up to about 3 to 4 inches.

Just do it in stages, use the pvc trick or I put it in a mesuring cup and brought it down to the bottom and dumped it.
The trick with that is fill the cup with water slowly at the top of the tank and then go to the bottom.

cheers

fishboy
11-14-2002, 05:12 AM
Canadian Man,

How long did you wait between layers?

I have a lot of live rock as well. Do I need to worry about getting the sand under/in between the live rock or will it make it's way around the rock over time?

EmilyB
11-14-2002, 05:16 AM
Yes, Jon...in fact I found the ziplock disposable containers are great...loosely seal with lid and allow to fill with water slowly...you can then slowly dump at the bottom...

But if that tank was any deeper..... :?

Delphinus
11-14-2002, 05:26 AM
When you guys added the sand in stages, did you add a uniform layer as a single stage, or sort of add some sand here, some sand there, kind of thing?

EmilyB
11-14-2002, 05:41 AM
When you guys added the sand in stages, did you add a uniform layer as a single stage, or sort of add some sand here, some sand there, kind of thing?

Yeah.

:P

Actually, I'm going to add another layer soon, as it does deplete. This time, I'm going to try covering more area with less sand.... :wink:

Doug
11-14-2002, 01:12 PM
I agree, good advice so far. Using a pipe to get it to the bottom undisturbed, also works well.

I like to use a large power filter, with lots of filter wool, to clean the water after. Also a skimmer cleans it well, but must be dumped lots.

Canadian Man
11-14-2002, 06:13 PM
Fishboy,
I waited about 2 months before adding another layer.

I also just added it into a pile on the bottom and worked it around with my hand. I didnt worry too much about getting it in every nook and cranny cause it will make it there eventually.