PDA

View Full Version : Burnt out another MH, why?

mark
02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Running two 250W 14k, DE Hamilton's in PFO mini-pendants powered by AQ2-250HQI-120V PFO dual ballast, 8 hours/day. Pendants are mounted in a enclosed hood vented by a 5 inch muffin fan ducted up from basement.

One bulb has been going for a year (happy anniversary to me, tank up a year on the 17th) but only got 6 months from other and now it's repacement's burnt out. Though not much of a trend, that's 2 bulbs that have only lasted 6 months. Should I be looking for a problem with the ballast or just bad luck?

niloc16
02-16-2007, 02:28 AM
i dont know. never heard of that. possibly overheating?

mark
01-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Damn, lost another one and this one after only running a month at 9hr/day. Beginning to think Hamilton's are crap.

Though the pendants are mounted in a hood, don't think temperature's a problem. I have a 5" muffin fan in the basement hooked up to some 3" duct blowing air through the hood. Been quite awhile since I took temp reading and don't remember exactly but I'm moving a lot of air and the exhaust temperature air wasn't that much above ambient.

Delphinus
01-30-2008, 04:31 AM
Not that this helps you but the only lamp I've ever had that was a bona-fide "burnt out halide" was a 250W DE. And come to think of it, it was the Hamilton lamp that came in the Hamilton Reefstar pendent. The Ushio I replaced it with is still going strong (now a bit overdue for replacement actually, a tad over a year I think). I'll be replacing it with an Iwasaki 14k though, love the Iwasaki's, so want to see if the DE's are as good quality as their SE's.

fishmaster
01-30-2008, 05:22 AM
I've had 2 premature burnt out hamilton's. One in about 8 months, the other in 2 months! Both DE 14k 250w. Both in a hamilton pendant fixture with a hamilton ballast. Too bad because they are nice bulbs for the money.

mark
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Not that this helps you but the only lamp I've ever had that was a bona-fide "burnt out halide" was a 250W DE. And come to think of it, it was the Hamilton lamp that came in the Hamilton Reefstar pendent. The Ushio I replaced it with is still going strong (now a bit overdue for replacement actually, a tad over a year I think). I'll be replacing it with an Iwasaki 14k though, love the Iwasaki's, so want to see if the DE's are as good quality as their SE's.

See at J&L the Iwasaki are backordered so wondering about the Ushio. How the colour, like the Hamiltons and not looking for anything to blue?

Delphinus
01-30-2008, 05:53 PM
No, more of a whitish colour. I think it was bluer when it was new though (not overwhemingly so though - you'd still want actinics if you wanted a blue sheen, I would think).

I find with stuff backordered at J&L though it's very rarely too long to wait - at least the last 2 or 3 things I've inquired about, ended up being in stock a couple days later. Maybe fire off an email to them and ask..

Edit: failing that, I noticed premiumaquatics.com has them: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14K-250DE-IW&Category_Code=mh-250w

fishmaster
01-30-2008, 07:13 PM
See at J&L the Iwasaki are backordered so wondering about the Ushio. How the colour, like the Hamiltons and not looking for anything to blue?

I ran into the same issue. I ended up going with the aquaconnect 14k. The colour is very simmilar the the hamilton. Maybe slightly bluer, but not much. Overall, a nice bulb.

atcguy
01-30-2008, 07:31 PM
hey I have the reefstar pendents as well . I have to say Hamilton bulbs are crap. I went to 13.5 k geismann and then xm 10k. I am running who actinic blues and thought the xm were to white. i am now on phoenix 14 k bulbs 250w DE and will never use another bulb again. they are awesome. Even with my blue actinics my tank is a nice color with a hint of blue. Just awesome. Check out OA , Wendell recommended them to me about 3 months ago. They are fairly cheap aswell maybe 90 bucks??? cant remember check out the wedbsite. Later

Good luck

KrazyKuch
01-30-2008, 10:25 PM
quick question when you install your bulbs do you wear gloves???Because the oil's on your fingers that you will put it on the bulb and it will cause a heat spot on the glass and cause premature burn out!!!

Delphinus
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
I normally just use a paper towel or hanky something like that.

atcguy
01-31-2008, 12:26 AM
papertowel. never touch the bulb!!!

mark
01-31-2008, 02:29 AM
Just using paper towel as well.

If I think I touched the bulb would wipe with alcohol but don't remember touching this last one.