PDA

View Full Version : to frozen food or not to frozen food....

niloc16
02-14-2007, 02:01 AM
i read a really disturbing article today in my Coral magazine talking about studies done of frozen food. i heard pros and cons on using frozen food before but this study actually got samples of bacteria within the water used in the frozen food. the majority of the samples from popular manufacturers of artemia, mysis and eggs contained the vibrio bacteria. they stated that using frozen food exclusively could be the cause of alot of unknown fish deaths and diseases and other outbreaks within the tank. now i feed exclusively frozen mysis, spirulina brine, plankton, cyclopeeze and what not and i am curious as to what you guys are feeding. are you majority frozen food, pellets, freeze dried. now i usually drain the melted juices out but they are stating this is not enough and that the food should be rinsed with tap water first and fed to fish right after thawing not to allow the food to see thawed in the fridge.

Ruth
02-14-2007, 02:13 AM
I feed mostly a concoction of frozen. I buy the frozen variety or chowder pack at Safeway (it has clams, mussels, squid, shrimp, scallops etc.). Into this I add frozen cyclopeeze, spirilina flakes, garlic, selcon, whatever other frozen seafood I might have in my freezer, some NSL pellets and some ON pellets and flakes. I blend this all up using some tank water so it is blendable and then freeze it flat in freezer bags and when I feed I just break off a piece and thaw it in some tank water and feed immediately. Every once in a while I will just feed flake and when I am out of town or on holiday I get whoever will be feeding my fish to just feed flake as it is easier to show them how much to feed.

EmilyB
02-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Fed frozen homemade and store bought for the seven or so years in the hobby. Couple of fish here since the beginning. No vibrio for me. Maybe that's US...:lol:

niloc16
02-14-2007, 06:01 AM
it was US and based on the us manufacturers but we get the same stuff dont we. i mean none of my fish have never had vibrio either but i was little concerned that i feed only frozen. i've never made homemade brew of food only store bought stuff. i think my wife would kill me if she came in the kitchen and seen the blender filled with fish goo.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Our PE mysis is made in BC (Okanagan Lake). That's mostly what I use, although I also feed Bloodworms, Hikari mysis & a bunch of other stuff.

Anthony

Murminator
02-14-2007, 04:22 PM
I have small fish I feed mostly NLS small pellets with a little flake and about once a week they get a treat of mysis and brine

kwirky
02-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I feed NLS flake daily and twice a week I target feed my LPS mysis and let a little extra enter the water for the fish to eat. Never had problems really.

michika
02-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I feed nori, & phytoplankton every day for my tangs, and alternate between a pellet/flake diet and a meat based one. Pellets and flake are the extra small New Life Spectrum, Ocean Nutrition Formula One in pellets, spirulina flakes, and cylops-eeze. For meat I usually mix up Hikari brand frozen krill, mysis, bloodworms on occasion, brine shrimp, and frozen rotifers. On occasion I hatch artemia, but I'm kind of lazy about it so it only happens about once every few weeks. Overall I just try to feed a little bit of everything over the course of the week.

mark
02-23-2007, 05:27 PM
For the last four+ years been feeding Hikari Mysis daily without issues.

BCOrchidGuy
03-02-2007, 05:39 AM
I've been feeding Hikari, PE, Ocean Nutrition etc. Some of the food I feed is frozen, some freeze dried, some flake...fish die sometimes, it's similar to a new study out now that says antioxidants may actually cause people to die sooner. Whether a fish gets sick or not and dies or not could have as much to do with stress and genetics as it does for us. Not trying to dismiss your concerns, just speaking my two cents worth.

Doug