PDA

View Full Version : Sumps

marie
02-11-2007, 06:38 PM
My project for this year is to convert my old 75g into a sump...and I have no idea what I'm doing:lol: .

Could you guys please post detailed pictures of your sumps? I have an external pump so the tank has to be drilled and I want a large area for a refugium because I'm toying with the idea of doing away with my skimmer. Any ideas as to the best way to go about it?

Kabong
02-11-2007, 08:37 PM
A good place to start reading is
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
I find the pics a little hard to follow on the site.
I think its cause every thing's transparent.
Heres a basic diagram of the last sump i put together out of a 20G
http://members.shaw.ca/kabong/sump3.JPG
It's built to a remora on the side.
In your case you could just remove that compartment and split the tank even down the middle.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Marie,

I use a 75g for my sump, but mine is the short, wide version. I have it so that my first section (for my skimmer) is 16" long, the refugium center section is 26" long, & the last section is for my return pump & only 6". Since yours is an external return, you could add extra baffles in the last section to remove any bubbles. I have the water falling from the skimmer section into the refugium, then going under the baffle into the return.

Irene & I might be coming up to Powell River during Spring Break & I can help you build the sump & drill it if you haven't got it done by then. (if I can borrow the drill bit from my buddy).

BTW, I have my baffles roughly 6" from the top so there is leeway in case I shut off the return pumps, so my sump doesn't overflow.

Anthony

marie
02-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Irene & I might be coming up to Powell River during Spring Break & I can help you build the sump & drill it if you haven't got it done by then. (if I can borrow the drill bit from my buddy).

Me, have it done by spring break?? http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/3dlil/eek2.gif . I was going to count myself lucky if I could have a working plan by June :biggrin:

marie
02-16-2007, 02:50 AM
Ok so I have a 4ft tank and it has to be drilled on one end for the return pump. Can I assume that the water coming from the tank should go into the other side? With the refugium in the middle?
I wish I knew how to draw pictures on the computer but I can't so I'm going to have to describe things.
I'll have the water coming into the sump at one end going under 1 baffle and over another, having 18" at that end (just in case I decide to have a skimmer after all). Then allow approx. 2ft for the refugium and at the return end have the water going under 1 baffle and over the next before heading to the retun pump. I'm only allowing approx 6" at this end would this be enough room?
Is that enough baffles to keep bubbles out of the main tank? Too many maybe? I am open to any and all suggestions :biggrin:

Joe Reefer
02-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Melevs site is great for sump ideas. If your thinking of doing away with your skimmer, your sump will be very basic and with an external pump the fuge chamber is going to be huge!

marie
02-16-2007, 03:08 AM
If I am doing away with my skimmer my refugium needs to be huge :razz:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-16-2007, 06:16 AM
PM sent.

andsoitgoes
02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
glad I looked at this - I'm just about to set up my sump this weekend, great info!