PDA

View Full Version : Rose anemones OR ...fake rose?

andresont
02-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Just visited KingEdPet in Burnaby today they had lots of "rose anemones", and even though i wanted one i did not get it because... I think this might be a fake rose.
1-"Tank raised" was indicated with original price of $139.99 and "sale" 49.99$
2- That they came from China
3- When i asked how they raised them in the tank with perfect color like that, i was told that it is a "trade secret"
4- I saw two completely white anemonies, of the same kind and size, they were with dull rosy red tips.

Now, i could be a little paranoid here but when i connected all the "dots"(1,2,3,4 and "trade secret"), i think these could be just colored red with some food grade color, and those that were sitting in the tank for some time just lost the color. So i did not get one .
What do you guys think? Am i just imagening things?

Quagmire
02-11-2007, 01:42 PM
BTA's are generaly poor shippers,so that would explain the bleached ones you saw.If you see any sort of pastel(sp)/day-glo colored,that is from bleaching also.Just not as bad as clear.Alot of corals have been comming in from China,so I would tend to believe these came from there also.It seems alot of RBTA's have become available this week,these are probably from the same wholesaler.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-11-2007, 04:55 PM
If it helps, I was there when they first came in & I didn't see any leaching of dye or anything like that when they were in the bag.

Justusfish
02-11-2007, 09:38 PM
I'll let you know if the colour fades. I bought one today and I'll keep you advised of the progress.

albert_dao
02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Dyed corals don't fluoresce. Take a look at them under good actinics.

BCOrchidGuy
02-12-2007, 02:51 AM
They are the real deal, J&L has them as well but a bit more expensive, not much though.

Doug

Justusfish
02-12-2007, 04:26 AM
I have to agree. Mine is looking great under my 250W 10K Ushio lights. Looks ultra healthy as well.

andresont
02-12-2007, 06:36 AM
Thank you all fgor the imput well see how it goes.
Thouse of you who already bought one please keep us informed.
thx.