PDA

View Full Version : UNBELIEVABLE - Prankster or Savior?

Jaws
02-09-2007, 06:05 PM
The most unbelievable thing happened last night. I was placing some new frags in my tank so I had a couple lying around on the live rock while I got the epoxy ready. I got most of them done when I realized that one of them had disappeared. I've got quite a bit of flow in my tank so I figured it blew away somewhere. I looked all over for it and couldn't find it anywhere. I placed a couple more corals as time went on and fiddled around with other things for about an hour and a half, meanwhile keeping an eye out for the 2 inch sps stag that I had pretty much written off as falling between the rocks, never to be seen again. I finished up in the tank, managed to clean up the mess I had made around it and was just reaching for the actinic light switch to call her quits for the night when my Lawnmower Blenny emerged from under and in between the rocks with the base of the SPS in his mouth and spat it out in a big flat open rocky area right in front of my face and then sat there and looked at me. I was blown away. It took me about ten minutes to set everything back up, and get the epoxy ready, while he sat a few inches away from the coral watching me without moving. I finally put my hand back in the tank slowly and grabbed the coral while he swam away gently and carried on with his routine rock kissing. I placed the coral, hit the lights, and settled down to some TV. I'm still in awe this morning and regardless whether he took the coral to begin with or just returned it unharmed, I would still like to buy him a coffee one day to say thanks.

This guy already has an unbelievable personality to begin with - I think they all do. He spends all day making out with the rocks and glass, occasionally flips a coral or two off their post if he can find a hiding spot under it. I've even seen him headbutt a coral right off its post after he figured out he could move it. But you can also put your hand in the tank and he won't move if he's in your way even if you push him or flick him to get him going. He thinks he's the boss and only takes orders from my Powder Blue because the PB doesn't like sharing the same food source as him. I know why he's my girlfriend's favorite.

OCDP
02-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Haha, neat story. I've always had a thing for blennys.. such personality. I guess it's gunna bug the crap out of you as to if he stole it or if he was retrieving it for you. :razz: Either way, neat story, thanks for sharing.

danny zubot
02-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Cool story, kind of reminds me of my pistol shrimp. He too likes to play hide and seek with my frags. One time just before leaving for a frag swap he stole 3 spoken for zoo frags which he used to fortify his condo. LOL, critters!

Der_Iron_Chef
02-09-2007, 06:44 PM
LOL! I love it. Before getting into the hobby, I thought fish were pretty, and that's pretty much it. But they definitely have personalities. It makes it that much better.

Delphinus
02-09-2007, 09:23 PM
My lawnmower blenny, would "challenge" the cloth (or paper towel) I would use to clean the glass on the outside. It never failed - all I had to do was clean a little smudge and he'd come out of nowhere to tell off the towel.

They're definitely characters. :)