PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry gorgonia

pat
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have any tips on caring for this beauty?what i would like to know is placement in the tank,lighting and water movement, tried to resserche on the net,but cant find anything specifically about the blueberry gorgonia.
I got it last night,it's doing good but since i'm rearranging the tank i figured i would ask around?
Thanks
Pat

Delphinus
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
It's a non-photosynthetic filter feeder, so its level of care is much higher than other corals. Flow should be brisk but you will have to observe the coral to see if it's too brisk that the polyps don't come out (ie., if too close to a powerhead they probably won't come out).

You will need to find a food small enough for the polyps to eat. The blueberry gorgonians have larger polyps than some other gorgonians so that should help. You might even be able to crush up flake food small enough. Other things to try are rotifers, baby brine shrimp, (you can get these frozen), Cyclops-eeze (again use the frozen stuff, the freeze dried is hard to work with, it's so dry that it floats even after soaking for several hours), and Reef-roids.

They say they need to be fed daily, .. but I think I hear of others who try once per week. You'll have to do a little trial and error, the main concern with feeding a lot is that you can spike your tank parameters in short order. So it's a careful balancing act.

Good luck and please post some pictures!

pat
02-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks you
As far as food go's i use,marine snow,kent zoomax,kent chromamax,kent micro-vert and live brine shrimps.One question,i have 2 clams that are 2" just little baby's,should i target feed them?

I also do a 6g change every week,my system holds 47g of water between the tank and sump.
Thanks again
Pat

skylord
02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I would......I use DT's and spot feed about 3 times a week. I will do that until they are about 3" or so.

Scott

albert_dao
02-09-2007, 07:34 PM
DT's phyto and oyster eggs are too small for blueberries.

Richard_Dicosimo
02-10-2007, 02:07 AM
if you want some great info you should pick up this months copy of coral magazine its manily dedicated to gorgoinans this month. i dont know who in saskatchewan carrys them but im sure i have seen them online from www.oceanaquatics.com before

Richard

pat
02-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Hope this works,here is a picture of my baby

midgetwaiter
02-10-2007, 05:14 PM
DT's phyto and oyster eggs are too small for blueberries.

Yeah but he needs at least the phyto for his clams.

surgeonfish
02-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Tony
Where do buy frozen Cyclops-eeze? Any place in Calgary stock it?

Delphinus
02-10-2007, 07:35 PM
To be honest I'm not sure. The only two times I got it, one was I split the package with a fellow reefer and another was a guy selling off his stuff 'cuz he was moving. You get such an insane amount of stuff with the frozen it literally lasts you years, so I haven't had to buy any from a store yet. I would try Gold's and/or Wai's maybe. Failing that, drop me a line next time you're in town and you can have some of mine to try out.

andresont
02-10-2007, 08:16 PM
After feeding oyster eggs to mine it did not open ever since. :(
Could it be that these oysters eggs were taken from "red tide" times?

Neil
02-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Tony
Where do buy frozen Cyclops-eeze? Any place in Calgary stock it?

i bought mine from gold aquariums

Richard_Dicosimo
02-11-2007, 02:26 AM
i dont think that corals or invertabrates are affected by red tide. i think its only toxic to humans, (psp) in bivalves because the concentration of it that they injest gets to levels that are usually leathal to humans.

Richard

andresont
02-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Ok, mine opened today, It likes flow and shadow. So i placed it in to little cave with alot of flow.

pat
02-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Ok, mine opened today, It likes flow and shadow. So i placed it in to little cave with alot of flow.

Are you talking about a blueberry gorgonia?this thread seems to be deviating from the point.

andresont
02-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Are you talking about a blueberry gorgonia?this thread seems to be deviating from the point.
Sorry man talking about this one

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/andresont/DSC_0410.jpg

pat
02-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Thats beautiful

Snappy
02-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a few gorgs and have one of the same type that you are calling "blueberry". It's polyps are always open and I believe feeds ok however my biggest issue with it has been the fish and hermit crabs eating the blue flesh on the stalk and chompimg down the polyps.:twised: Other than that it's been doing well but I am afraid there won't be much left of it pretty soon. The fish that really munch on it are my coral beauty, yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, blue tang, foxface, and as mentioned hermits. If you have any of these in your tank it makes for expensive fish food.