PDA

View Full Version : Tomato Clown & Goniopora

Der_Iron_Chef
02-09-2007, 02:41 AM
So....my tomato clown has begun to host in my big, beautiful goniopora, and needless to say, the goniopora is not happy! For the first time since I've had it (three-four months), it was completely retracted last night. The clown continues to host in it, and it's 75% retracted most of the time now.

Has this happened with anyone else? I suppose the clown will continue to do this, right? So, I'm left with either getting rid of the fish or the coral? Pity, I was hoping it would try to host in the big hairy mushrooms or the frogspawn. Ah well.

j83
02-09-2007, 06:44 AM
It's normal, well obviously not normal, but it goni's have been known to be a surrogate for anemone's. Your choice on what your gonna get rid of. I am not aware of any tricks or secrets to get it to unhost in the goni. I guess you could try getting an anemone if your tank can support it.

Der_Iron_Chef
02-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I don't know. The coral doesn't seem to mind at times, and then retracts a lot at other times. Strange.

I was worried this might happen when I got the clown. Anyone else have some experience/expert advice?

Okguy
02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I had a clown start to host in my open brain. The Brain looked extremely unhappy, so I moved the brain to another position. If you can move the goniopora it might be worth a try? Especially if you can move it to an area of the tank where a teritorial fish like to hang out. My blue damsel keeps the clown well clear of the open brain now.... After moving the brain the clown has had several other hosts who don't seem to mind it. The clown is now hosting in my bubble tip and is happier than ever....... Godd luck

OCDP
02-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I'd try moving the coral first.. may be succesful. If your able to keep a BTA, try putting one in. Natural host to Tomatoe's if memory serves me correctly.. so your tomatoe might go nuts for the BTA and forget about the goni.

Good luck..