PDA

View Full Version : Hydor deflectors

danny zubot
02-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Anyone have experiance with these?

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/deflector.html

Midknight
02-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Work great. I am planning on getting a couple more of them.

Sushiman
02-08-2007, 11:55 PM
yup, poor man's tunzi. fragile though.

AndyL
02-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Good little trinkets. I've got 4 of them (though not currently in use) - as long as you follow the directions (300gph max) and run a fairly decent pre-filter (the powerhead grates aren't quite fine enough) they work well.

GrimReefer
02-09-2007, 04:54 AM
I have two. they're okay at best. one of them periodically stops turning. they might work well if you put the full 300gph through them, but otherwise i don't notice much of an improvement to flow in a 30g tank. but for the price, you can't really beat them. i'm sure it'd work great for a 5-10 gallon.

for larger tanks, check out this as an affordable circulation option. also made by hydor.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15955&inm=1&N=2004+22788+2035

and the new tunze nanostreams look awesome and they're cheap. i should have mine in a few days.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/pumps.php?product_ID=tz-tsn6025

4ptbuck
02-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Got one. My Rio 3500 powers it well.
First thing I did though was to take a dremel to that big ugly back flange. It isn't needed...

4pts

danny zubot
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
How fast will it spin using Maxijet 1200's? Also, about what angle is it deflecting at? To me it looks to be around 45 degrees.

Midknight
02-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Slower rotation, take about 20 seconds to do a full 360 rotation.

GMGQ
02-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I have my return split on a Locline Y, with a hydor flo on each end. Definitely better than without.

However they do drastically reduce the flow. It's basically a propeller and a gear inside, which the water has to flow through, and those obstacles sorta slow down the water flow.

That's the trade-off for more varied flow. Just dont count on these as your main source of flowage and you'll be fine. (i.e. my main source is a closed loop system with an OM squirt and a couple of OM revs).

p.s. I got them from Big Al's online. They're actually cheaper from their online site, than in store. Franchises, go figure.

andsoitgoes
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I have 3 in my tank, and of course reading the above post am kicking myself for not chopping that flange off, it sure as heck isn't needed, wonder why it's even there?

Anyway - had it in my nano (5.5g) and it was great, but took up a LOT of space. Even in my 45g cube, it still takes up a bit of space, however for the diverse flow it provides and wave like intensity, it's worth it - If I had to do it again, though, I'd go with Seios or the Tunze Nanostreams, it's worth a few extra bucks for the saving of space and pain.

Also - on my MJ 1200, it does a full rotation in about 15 seconds or less.

GMGQ
02-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Got one. My Rio 3500 powers it well.
First thing I did though was to take a dremel to that big ugly back flange. It isn't needed...

4pts

What part are you talking about?

briansmyth
02-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I have one on a Maxijet 1200 in my four foot long 90 gallon tank; it does add some different waterflow to the tank, but I still like to take the Hydor off and run the Maxijet by itself for part of the day on alternate days.

The Maxijet 1200 with the Hydor on it rotates once every six seconds in my tank.

AndyL
02-10-2007, 04:03 PM
There's a big plastic ring on the back side of the nozzle housing - it's intended as a mount for a foam biofilter (freshwater applications). 99% of saltwater folks will trim it off leaving just the bullet shaped nozzle.

canadawest
02-11-2007, 06:01 AM
There's a big plastic ring on the back side of the nozzle housing - it's intended as a mount for a foam biofilter (freshwater applications). 99% of saltwater folks will trim it off leaving just the bullet shaped nozzle.

Why bother with it in a saltwater application? Mine is bone stock, the ring has no effect on the performance of the unit, on or off I suspect.

Except for looking a bit gawdy, it's really of no consequence leaving it as is.

GMGQ
02-11-2007, 07:18 AM
I agree. That's why I was puzzled when some guys in this thread brought up the topic of cutting it off. ???

Why bother with it in a saltwater application? Mine is bone stock, the ring has no effect on the performance of the unit, on or off I suspect.

Except for looking a bit gawdy, it's really of no consequence leaving it as is.

AndyL
02-11-2007, 07:24 AM
reduces size... cleans it up a bit... takes 30 seconds with an xacto (not including trip to hospital for stitches) :lol:

4ptbuck
02-11-2007, 06:03 PM
The spinner looks so much nicer without the big flange in the back.
It really cleans it up, and after it is removed, it is not that big overall...