PDA

View Full Version : Very Cool Product

Jason McK
02-08-2007, 03:34 AM
Seavisions aquarium water Dialyseas Very Very cool

seavisions (http://www.seavisions.com/prod02.htm)

1bigstud
02-08-2007, 04:44 AM
I wonder how much?

Neil
02-08-2007, 05:07 AM
I wonder how much?

just a mere $2890 USD

untamed
02-08-2007, 05:46 AM
I had not heard about this product..but it looks like they've been around for a long time. (1997, at least). Reefing has changed a lot since then.

justinl
02-08-2007, 06:23 AM
I wonder how much?

It's 2890 for the normal version which serves for tanks up to 2000 gal. Seeing as the vast majority of us here don't have that big a tank (yet :mrgreen: ), Im gonna go ahead and assume the mini version for 1025$US would serve fine. Didn't see how many gallons the mini was rated for though.

StirCrazy
02-09-2007, 01:50 AM
there discription of operation doesn't make any sence, I even double checked the definition of osmosis as there explanation struck me funny. it is the water that will flow throught the membrain not the bad stuff. so in theory there system should be making the polution levles in your tank higher.

Steve

Skimmerking
02-09-2007, 02:15 AM
the way the dialsea works it runs your tank water thur a membrane. Then gets reading for salinity, CAl, Alk ,PH,temp, phoshates, copper you name it its checking it and then if you need to up your levels it will do it for ya. if you need salt the line that is ran from the barrel of salty water will add just enough to make it at the salinity that you requested.

it comes with numerous probes for checking the water.

nice piece of kit but to get the deluxe model its going to cost ya ......:wink:

I thought about get ting one when I come bac kfrom Afghanistan.

Chad
02-09-2007, 08:42 PM
For an idea on how it works, think of when you take a bath, if you stay too long your fingers wrinkle. They wrinkle because your body has more salt than the bath water, so your body salt diffuses into the tub. Just like if there is some chemical that in the tub that is more than in your body, it will diffuse into your body. So, until there is a balance it will diffuse across the membrane. And since all chemicals have a "size" you use different membranes to allow different chemicals to pass through.

Atleast this is my old grade 11 chemisty understanding talking :)

StirCrazy
02-09-2007, 10:39 PM
ok I guess non of you realy read the website:mrgreen: they are claiming that by using osmosis they put the tank water on one side of a membrain and the good fresh water on the other sie. there claim is that the inpurities travle through the membrain and equilize between the salt and fresh water and then you dump the fresh down the drain and do it again. then they add salt ect as some is lost in the process.

My statment is that they are misusing tearms and confusing me on what they are actualy doing.
so by there defination this system should be adding water to the salt warer lowering you salenity because the fresh water low polution will actualy flow through the membrain into the more poluted water. the polution will not flow through the membrain. so what they are doing is diluting the tank water then adding high concentraition of salt water to bring the salinity back where it should be and at the same time dumping some water down the drain so they don't overflow the tank. this is not removing any bad stuff in the water except for the small amount that goes down the drain, other wise they are relying on the filters in the set up to do the work.

her is the actual defination if you want to see what I mean

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis#column-one), search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis#searchInput)
Osmosis is the movement of water molecules across a semipermeable membrane from a region of low solute potential to an area of high solute potential (or equivalently, from a region of high solvent potential to a region of low solvent potential). The partially permeable membrane must be permeable to the solvent, but not to the solute, resulting in a pressure gradient (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_gradient) across the membrane."

so I guess my problem wasn't with the product and sorry if it sounded like that, but rather with the poeple trying to use scientific tearms to make there product sound even better and magical.

they also say you still need a skimmer, and mechanical filter, so this now makes me start to question there product and if it is anything more than a glorified water change.

Steve

1bigstud
02-09-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking glorfied water change/top off system as well. With those prices mixing up salt and what not suddenly doesnt seem so bad.

justinl
02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I haven't read the description myself, but the way you put it stircrazy, yeah i agree that those terms are used in completely the wrong sense.

Chad, I get what you're trying to say, but for the record, that isn't why your fingers get wrinkly. The reason is osmosis (water movement) but in the proper sense. Skin is designed so that your salts and stuff stay in you, and the only stuff that leaves is whatever is actually on the surface already (salt from sweat, various oils, etc). Water is small enough to flow through and fill up the skin cells which expands the cells. This happens wherever your skin is in the water but your fingers/toes get wrinkly first because these parts are more rigid from callouses. Its kind of like the finger tips are rigid metal which buckles under stress, and your other softer skin is like rubber which is flexible and will stay smooth under this stress.

albert_dao
02-10-2007, 01:06 AM
There's a few guys using them over on both the Zeovit board and RC.