PDA

View Full Version : A when/how to add calcium to the water question

BCReefer
01-09-2002, 05:16 PM
I have re-read a previous post that I had about beginner corals and I have another question. When would I know if I need to switch from say adding Seachem's Reef Advantage Calcium (and Reef Builder) to Kalk or a calcium reactor?

I would be adding the Seachem on my weekly water changes or should I use a drip or should I add it to my top up water.

I haven’t done anything yet but I would like your comments.

What I would love to get is a clam and a open brain, there are some others but I am not sure of the names. I am also concerned about my wondering anemone.

PS – please add me to the list of people who would tell others not to buy an Anemone. My green carpet is now starting to move rock and damn is it big when it spreads out. It does look awesome though.

reefburnaby
01-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Hi,

When is it time to switch over to Ca reactor....well its up to your pocket book and your patience. Unless you have extremely high demanding tank (like a fully loaded SPS tank), usually the power/liquid stuff is good enough for the corals. The question is how long can you stand mixing liquids to feed to your tank. Months ? Years ? Decades ? When you get bored or frustrated, you'll know when it is time to get one images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- Victor.

DJ88
01-09-2002, 08:18 PM
Victor hit it right on the head.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

When you get sick of mixing and dosing.. it's time for a Ca or Nielsen reactor..

DJ88
01-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Patrick,

When I used to dose I was testing weekly to make sure that the levels hadn't dropped too far. More if I felt it was necessary.

Your dosing needs will be dependand upon types and number of corals requiring Ca in your system. With only acouple of stoney corals you should be ok. But once you start filling your tank with more species you will notice that the Ca levels will drop accordingly.

Keep testing it regularly to get a feel for how fast yours drops and waht your systems needs are. You will figure it out when you have had enough dosing and additions. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Jsut ask anyone here.. lol

BCReefer
01-11-2002, 04:01 AM
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I can assume that based upon the quantity and type of corals would indicate how much and how often I need to add calcium. I would periodic calcium test as I add corals.

If there is any mis-truth here please let me know.

Thanks
Patrick