PDA

View Full Version : glass hole cutter

rossb
11-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Does anybody in calgary have a glass hole cutter? I think I need to drill a hole in my sump and was thinking it would be a good time to do it (before the aquarium is fully up and running). Any size would be ok.

Delphinus
11-12-2002, 02:33 PM
What's the hole for? I can drill a hole for a 1" bulkhead (1-3/4" hole) or for a typical float valve (5/8" hole). But any other size I cannot do (since the bits were $75 each I went with the two most likely sizes I would ever use and left it at that).

rossb
11-12-2002, 03:00 PM
That is exactly the size I need (either), it is for a return from a protein skimmer and a return from a refugium. What kind of stuff would a guy like you need to drill a hole like that?

Delphinus
11-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Just the time to come over and do it ... any offered beverages during the visit will not be refused ... but not expected. ;)

reefburnaby
11-12-2002, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I have heard that a Dremel with the appropriate bit works very well and it has a very high success rate...unlike diamond bits.

- Victor.

Delphinus
11-12-2002, 04:18 PM
I've never had an issue with the diamond tipped hole saws. Slow and steady is the key. It's the spade-shaped glass/ceramic drill bits that make me nervous.

If I had to go with a bigger hole I'd probably try the dremel though.

rossb
11-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Let me know when you have some time and I will make sure I have sufficient beverages on hand. Although I don't have a glass hole saw I have most other types of tools. If you ever need anything made I will certainly return the favor.