PDA

View Full Version : Tangs

Chowder
02-07-2007, 09:59 PM
In your experience what tangs eat hair algae. I have a great deal of the stuff in the tank at work. I am working on the nutrients in the tank with water changes and phosphate remover. Any help on chosing one would be greatly appreciated.....
P.S. Trying to stay away from the blue ones...
Thanks, Chris

marie
02-07-2007, 10:33 PM
The problem with tangs is that they produce a lot of waste, not good if you are trying to reduce nutrient levels. They may eat the hair algae but you end up with cyano or worse dinoflagellates.
Turbo snails are effective if you remove as much as you can manually first, even hermit crabs will eat the stuff :biggrin:

Chowder
02-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks Marie, I do need to restock the Turbo's in the tank but the thing is I like Tangs and would like to put one in the tank. I do understand they create alot of waist. I am trying to control more of the water quality problem through weekly water changes compared to the once a month change I have been doing. Was just curious if certain ones ate more hair then others.......
Thanks, Chris

1bigstud
02-08-2007, 01:52 AM
You could always try a sea hare. They are not much to look at but decimate hair algae. Only thing is they arent very elusive when it comes to power heads and things ( I've lost one to a power head so I'm assuming they are'nt strong against current).

Rick.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-08-2007, 06:37 AM
Seahares are stupid & seem to be attracted to powerheads & Seios.

They are the best hair algae eaters though.

Anthony

Chowder
02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Had a seahare but I also had a anemone that took it out within two days. Have since gotten rid of it so I guess I could try it again.....
Thanks, Chris