PDA

View Full Version : Can Microbubbles Kill a Sponge?

GrimReefer
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I woke up this morning to my skimmer pumping out a billion microbubbles. So much that my blue sponge had bubbles trapped on it's underside. Is it doomed? I suppose I'll find out soon enough...

christyf5
02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
use a turkey baster to squirt water under the sponge to dislodge the bubbles. if they remain there parts of the sponge will die off.

GrimReefer
02-07-2007, 09:18 PM
do you think a sponge can 'ingest' microbubbles? or are they too large?

marie
02-07-2007, 09:36 PM
do you think a sponge can 'ingest' microbubbles? or are they too large?
The ocean is full of bubbles and the sponges seem to survive :mrgreen: . I think as long as you don't let the bubbles collect around it, it should be alright

Johnny Reefer
02-27-2007, 04:59 AM
I run a canister off my sump (carbon; ChemiPure; RowaPhos) and it's sucking air for some reason. I have the outlet directed at the return pump because this water is done being "processed". So, because it's getting air, on occasion it blasts microbubbles to the return, and thus the display. Hearing of concerns for microbubbles, but never really knowing what those concerns are, I did a search today and found this thread.

This....

The ocean is full of bubbles ....

....is something that has crossed my mind, too. The ocean has bubbles. Lots of 'em. Why not a Reef tank?

Wasn't finding a definitive answer with my first search so did another and found this: (Myth # 14).
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php
This confirmed in my mind what I'd already been thinking.
Not meaning to hijack this thread. Just adding more knowledge to this board, is all.

Cheers,