PDA

View Full Version : Mesh Mod materiel in Vancouver?

Hightower
02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Anyone here doing the mesh Mod on the needlewheel skimmers as per the threads on RC?

We cant seem to find the materiel they have down there. They are using an materiel called Enkamat. The only thing I have found is a nylon scrub brush I saw at rona but it seems quite dense and will probably clog quite easily.

Anyone else do the mod, and if so what materiel did you use.

christyf5
02-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah I tried doing that with a yellow potscrubber :razz: I ripped it apart and put 2 layers on. Suffice to say within about 30s little yellow bits were being skimmed out nicely :wink: I was pretty gung ho on this project until I discovered that my ER CS6-2 was sold with a dolphin D-560 pump. It has a needlewheel but its pretty small. I guess ER used to slap any old thing on there :confused: I think I might just move up to a sedra 5000. Maybe get the fanced out one that ER is selling with the modified motor/impeller/whatever else they've modified.

There is a guy in the RC thread that is selling that enkamat stuff. I think his name was mavgdi or something like that.

Hightower
02-08-2007, 04:56 AM
The ER modified or upgraded needlewheel they have you pay dearly for, still doesnt do as good a job as these other mesh modded needlewheel. You just need the right stuff.

If you dont, you get what I figured would happen- it will come apart or clog up.

There has got to be something to enkamat around here.

RonD
02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
I did it to my coralife SS 220 the other day after readling about it on RC. I found the mesh at home depot : gutter guard. Yellow lable / black mesh 6"x50' roll, so I have just a little left over. Works well. I cut four layers of the mesh and zip tied it to a dead impellar assembly I modified from another pump to make fit ( I didnt want to use my needle wheel as a test mule, found it at my LFS.. they had a bunch of dead ones so I just matched the impellar size up with the one I had in my pump) .. removed all the fins but four (to make a cross)and then cut them down with a dremal so they were very thin... enough to support the mesh and hold it steady so I could zip tie the mesh to it. Cut the mesh into a circle to fit back in the pumps volute and leter rip. Looks like more bubbles in the chamber.

I went with the gutter guard on account of it being a thicker material. A few others on RC had problems like christy5 mentioned about her mishap with the pot scrubber. No fun picking bits out :( thats for sure.

christyf5
02-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Ok so I searched all over the internet and found this (http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18073/si1316139/cl0/tetrapondgpxenkamatprefilter). Its a tetra pond filter made of enkamat. Close enough for me, I ordered some as they don't carry it (at the Richmond outlet anyways). They didn't give any dimensions but my needlewheel is pretty small so I would imagine it will fit (hopefully).

Hightower
02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Thats awesome that they have the enkamat. Thats what everyone has been using on RC. Thanks!!