PDA

View Full Version : How many use both - Ca & Kalk reactors

andestang
02-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Just in the process of setting up my MoCalc 300 reactor. Just curious how many of you use both a Ca & a Kalk reactor. This could almost be a poll question I suppose. I use to just use Kalk, but I thought I'd give the Ca a try. Going through peoples setups I've seen people with the duo combination.

Delphinus
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
I used to use both, but right now just the Ca reactor because I was having trouble getting a consistent flowrate through the kalk reactor (the valve was constantly clogging when I had it on the output, and when I had it on the input it wouldn't work either), so I just took it offline for a while. I was going to set it up again now that I have a dosing pump, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. So, all things being equal, my preference is to run both.

littlesilvermax
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I use both just to keep up!

FWIW I have a needle valve feeding my kalk reactor (from my RO/DI unit resevoir) and it works for about 5 to 6 months before my drip rate changes.

KrazyKuch
02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I use both and i just run my topoff right threw the Kalk Reactor so that when I need water replaced it's replaced with Kalkwater

Delphinus
02-06-2007, 09:34 PM
I used to do that too but I grew tired of cleaning out my float valve every few months. Although on the other hand it was far less problematic than trying to have a slow drip rate instead. What was happening was that as my RO/DI barrell emptied, it has less head pressure pushing the water through the lines and thus the drip rate would slow down more and more until it was time to refill the barrell.

I use both just to keep up!

FWIW I have a needle valve feeding my kalk reactor (from my RO/DI unit resevoir) and it works for about 5 to 6 months before my drip rate changes.

Littlesilvermax, how much height differencial do you have? 5 to 6 months with a steady rate is incredible. Or how often if your RO/DI reservoir being refilled? Maybe that's the difference, you're keeping yours full whereas I let mine get close to empty before refilling (mine is a 50g resevoir and I only need to refill it every two weeks or so).

littlesilvermax
02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Littlesilvermax, how much height differencial do you have? 5 to 6 months with a steady rate is incredible. Or how often if your RO/DI reservoir being refilled? Maybe that's the difference, you're keeping yours full whereas I let mine get close to empty before refilling (mine is a 50g resevoir and I only need to refill it every two weeks or so).

I run a switch on my RO system (I know not ideal due to TDS creep, but I have DI too, but it is for the whole house as well) so the pressure (I have a gauge) goes from a low of 30psi to a high of 55 psi.

It fluctuates a little due to the pressure swings, but it is less then 15% I would say.

Tangman
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
I use both and i just run my topoff right threw the Kalk Reactor so that when I need water replaced it's replaced with Kalkwater
ME too ! ME too!

KrazyKuch
02-07-2007, 01:57 AM
I have a 12 VDC float valve that controls a power head, which pumps the water to my Kalk Reactor so I have nothing to clean other then the reactor every once and a while

Tangman
02-07-2007, 03:08 AM
I have a 12 VDC float valve that controls a power head, which pumps the water to my Kalk Reactor so I have nothing to clean other then the reactor every once and a while
Again Me Too !
my float controls a 12 volt relay which controls a 12 volt tunzes pump

andestang
02-07-2007, 05:31 PM
.......so both just to keep up with the calcium, not to help stabilize PH/Alk levels also ?

StirCrazy
02-08-2007, 02:13 AM
.......so both just to keep up with the calcium, not to help stabilize PH/Alk levels also ?

its kind of a mixed bag, while a Ca reactor can maintain Ca, it is better at maintaining alkalinity. The Kalk reactor on the other hand is better at maintaining Ca than alk. also the kalk reactor will help to ofsett the lowering of PH by the Ca reactor.

I also ran my kalk between the float valve and the top off resavoir, but it would take 6 months befor I absolutly had to clean the float valve and that just took a couple minuits to knock off the build up.

Steve

rickjames
02-10-2007, 03:16 AM
I run both just to keep up with Ca/Alk as well, since my Ca reactor wasn't cutting it.