PDA

View Full Version : New Derasa clam

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Finally, after 2 years of searching, found a beautiful Derasa clam. Thanks a lot Pseudo!!!:biggrin:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/SeaHorse_Fanatic/CIMG0323.jpg

Can't explain it but have always been partial to Derasas, even though Maximas & Croceas are more colourful & more available.

Anthony

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-05-2007, 06:43 AM
BTW, this pic was taken about an hour after I put it into the tank, which shows how healthy it is.:biggrin:

Samw
02-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Awesome. That's nice. How big is it? Now, you need to get a blue Squamosa. I've seen a blue Squamosa before at Animal House last summer. I don't know how much it was but I bet it was a rare.

Delphinus
02-05-2007, 05:28 PM
That's that clam that someone was selling here a day or two ago that they called a squamosa, isn't it?? I thought it looked like a derasa but without seeing the shell I assumed that it could have been a squamosa after all. Anyhow, nice score. I agree with you about derasas, there are some that are truly amazing. I used to have an incredibly nice one but lost it to some clam disease that wiped out 5 clams in my tank in about one or two weeks. :cry: I've never seen one like it ever again. It had incredible blues, some yellows, oranges.. it was simply incredible and I had bought in the days they were plentiful so I think I only paid $20-30 for it.

But for that matter, have you noticed, what is WITH the lack of derasas these days? (Not that I've been looking that hard, but) I haven't seen a shipment of derasas come in ANYwhere (even Stateside for that matter) in years now. Was there only one farm and they were wiped out in the tsunami, or did someone go out of business, or was there some incident where derasa broodstock were lost? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Basically it seems to me if you have a derasa right now -- you should cherish it and take REALLY good care of it because it seems to me they're irreplaceable for the time being.

Anyhow, I'm very happy for you Anthony, nice clam. :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah Tony, that's the one Pseudo was selling. Apparently, the LFS he got it from a few years ago sold it to him as a Squamosa.

I agree, I haven't seen a Derasa shipment in years. An occasional Squamosa, a couple of small Gigas shipments, several Maxima shipments, and too many Croceas, but no Derasas.

This one is about 6-7" (shell) and 8+" with the mantle expanded. I love the ones with lines & not the blotchy patterned ones.

Anthony

Tom R
02-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Anthony

That one great clam. The trouble with getting a bigger tank is that you have all that extra room. At least for a while.

Tom R