PDA

View Full Version : recommend a pump??

fishface
02-04-2007, 11:43 PM
i' looking for a pump to do water changes but i've got about a 10' vertical height to overcome from the garage to the tank...i'd love to run it via a "T" from my existing ATO which is 1/4" tubing.

so
a) is this possible?
b) what pump would you recommend?

thanks,

KrazyKuch
02-05-2007, 02:11 AM
To push water up ten feet and have a hefty flow afterward, your gonna need a pump that is pressure rated for at least 2500gph IMHO.

I would suggest maybe a Poisdon PS4 or any of the Reeflo pumps..

You won't be able to use the 1/4" line will cause way to much back pressure onto the pump!

fishface
02-05-2007, 02:15 AM
bumma! those are some serious pumps we're talking then aren't we? maybe i'll just have to continue to perform the "bucket parade" up and down the stairs after all :cry:

what if i went to 1/2" tubing? would that make much difference?

mark
02-05-2007, 02:35 AM
There's lots of pumps that can handle a 10' head, chk this link (http://reefs.org/library/pumps/) and open the more info to get the curves. Can also look at RC's head loss calculator.

Don't forget to look through the Buy and Sell section, some good ones there such as http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27854 :wink:

fishface
02-05-2007, 02:42 AM
There's lots of pumps that can handle a 10' head, chk this link (http://reefs.org/library/pumps/) and open the more info to get the curves. Can also look at RC's head loss calculator.

Don't forget to look through the Buy and Sell section, some good ones there such as http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27854 :wink:hey thanks for that. you don't deliver do ya? :lol: cause i'd like to take that off yer hands

fishface
02-05-2007, 04:00 AM
so the headloss calculator's minimum diameter output is 3/4" smallest. is it completely unreasonable to make that work with a 1/4" output line...even with a larger pump?

KrazyKuch
02-05-2007, 04:07 AM
No cause of the pressure you would create on the pump

fishface
02-05-2007, 04:09 AM
No cause of the pressure you would create on the pumpdang! well thanks anyhow. i suppose i'm just gonna have to make bigger holes in the floor and wall.

mr_alberta
02-05-2007, 04:20 AM
How is your current ATO setup?

Also, you don't need a monsterous pump, just one with a high pressure rating...unless you want the water to fill up really fast. Check out something along the lines of Iwaki 40RLT or an Iwaki 20RLZT to get an idea. You can get either of those pumps for a pretty good price from time to time on CanReef.

But, if you want a big pump, I know someone who has an Iwaki 100RLT for sale...

fishface
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
How is your current ATO setup?

Also, you don't need a monsterous pump, just one with a high pressure rating...unless you want the water to fill up really fast. Check out something along the lines of Iwaki 40RLT or an Iwaki 20RLZT to get an idea. You can get either of those pumps for a pretty good price from time to time on CanReef.

But, if you want a big pump, I know someone who has an Iwaki 100RLT for sale...
RO/DI and FW resevior are downstairs in the garage below my tank and sump. i've got an osmolator pump in the resevoir pumping to my sump (about 3' vertical climb) above, resevoir is almost ceiling height in garage. all run through 1/4" tubing. preferably i'd like to "T" off the feed to the sump and put a valve in so i could feed my change water through the same ATO line.

so no, it doesn't need to be HUGE gallonage per hour but something with good pressure i suppose. needs to go from my garage floor, 1 floor up, say 10'-12" in vertical height.

do the iwaki's have high pressure ratings?

mr_alberta
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
IIRC, the Iwaki 20RLZT has a 21' cutoff.

niloc16
02-05-2007, 09:34 PM
i use a gen X 6000 pump the output is reduced 1/2" and using 1/2" vinyl hose it travels up about 10' and it rocks. it will empty about 25 gallons in about 5 minutes. i also use this pump to mix the saltwater as well. i just hook the hose to it when i'm going to do my water change