PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top Off Systems

GrimReefer
02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I am tired of manually topping up water. I was considering a DIY job, but the more I look into it, the less I like the idea of battery-operated pumps or running 120V through a switch above saltwater. Is there another option I haven't discovered? I like the idea of JBJ's ATO system. Anybody know if it's any good?

fishface
02-04-2007, 09:03 PM
i just got the tunze osmolator few weeks ago and i'm really happy with it. was looking at the jbj one as well but was told tunze is much more reliable...it was $50 more than the jbj.

Pescador
02-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I've been using a Tsunami AT1 (http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/products/DOCH-AT1.shtml?L+scstore+tqmz1890ff386438+1170632026)fo r years with no problems. It works using air pressure controlling a solenoid so no floats that could stick.

Mine controls a Maxijet in a 20g Rubbermaid that is filled with the RO/DI.
One possibility for you anyway for under a hundred bucks.

BCOrchidGuy
02-05-2007, 03:35 AM
What about a gravity fed float, they are inexpensive, easy to install and I never had an issue with one.

Doug

surgeonfish
02-05-2007, 04:01 AM
I would also strongly recommend the tunze osmolator. I have had one for a year with no problems. I think they are worth the extra $.

mr_alberta
02-05-2007, 04:27 AM
I agree with either gravity fed via a mechanical float valve or wiring up an auto topoff that uses 12VDC through the float switch to trigger a powerhead to turn on.

untamed
02-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Yes...your original comment about running 120V through a float switch is just NOT how you should do it.

Get a 12V DC power supply, a 12V relay, a float switch and a pump If you are unfamiliar with relays, you are basically running a 12V circuit through the float switch to the relay. When the float completes the circuit it triggers the relay, which switches on the 120V to the pump. Safe.

If you need more instruction, a quick search on DIY sites and you'll find wiring diagrams.

Johnny Reefer
02-05-2007, 11:57 AM
What about a gravity fed float, they are inexpensive, easy to install and I never had an issue with one.

Doug
This is what I use too. No problems.

Bartman
02-08-2007, 10:55 AM
I got my set-up from here: http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

I bought the sump mounted double switch and the RO/DI solenoid. They have worked flawlessly for 8 months now. I don't have to fill any reservoirs or mess with pumps or siphon issues. I just have to remember to unplug it before I do a water change. :)

Gools
02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
I got my auto top off from www.PrairieReefSupplies.ca works perfect with my kalk reactor, just hooked it up, adjusted my float level and has been working like a charm for the last year. No more hauling 5 gallon water jugs to a rubbermaid bucket hooked to a float valve.

S-B
02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
that link didn't work so I found the working one
http://www.prairiereefsupplies.ca

Sushiman
02-08-2007, 06:20 PM
...or for that ultra-ghetto feel, you could use my 5gal IV drip jug, it's got that nice Meth-lab look...

kwirky
02-09-2007, 12:45 AM
...or for that ultra-ghetto feel, you could use my 5gal IV drip jug, it's got that nice Meth-lab look...

haha! i have a similar setup lol. glass winemaking jug hooked to an airpump that's on an AC timer. works like a charm, but i have to fill it every 2 days.

I've been researching a cheap way to automatically fill a basin, AND automatically top off my tank. I want it automatic, without TDS creep/DI resin wearout.

GrimReefer
03-02-2007, 07:08 AM
okay...i've narrowed it down to the JBJ or the Tunze. and I think the deciding factor is going to be the sensors. since i'm sumpless, they'll be in my display.

any chance someone could provide pics of either sensors in action?