PDA

View Full Version : Very cool 3D stereo reef tank pictures!

vertex
02-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Hey peeps. Here is a serious brain teaser for you. I've created a bunch of 3D stereo images of our reefs which you can see in 3D by crossing your eyes and getting focused on overlaying the images.

They are all on a page here since a clean background helps make them easier to focus on. Check em out and let me know if you can actually see them like I do in 3D?

3D Stereo Pics1.html (http://www.ethereal3d.com/temp/2007/3D%20Stereo%20Pics1.html)

WARNING: :idea: I am NOT responsible for any headaches, eye strain, muscle twitching, angry rampages, psycho-therapy expenses, broken monitors, lazy eye syndrome or any other horrible consequences you may suffer by staring at these images too long with cross eyes. :lol:

I will take credit for how cool they look though...:mrgreen:

krisalexander
02-04-2007, 05:28 AM
My head hurts, but a cool idea

Kris

Delphinus
02-04-2007, 06:27 AM
It works, I liked the bigger versions better I think.

Here's a hint in case anyone has trouble. Sit back from your monitor a couple feet, look at it straight-on. Hold your index finger in front of you, center, maybe about 6" in front. Focus on your finger. What you want is to notice three sets of images on the monitor in the back. When you have this remove your finger and let your eyes relax, the focus may take a few seconds to settle in. If you focus on the screen though you'll lose it, so focus on your finger again and just ignore the outside two images.

So Mike how'd you do it, pease post some details on how to try this. E.g., Are the two cameras identical or different models? How far apart? Tripods? Etc.

Mike Olson
02-04-2007, 09:32 AM
very cool! Once you get dialed in, they all look awesome. Great job!

vertex
02-04-2007, 01:02 PM
kris, hehe, I warned you didn't I!! Its great though once you get em. Thanks also mike, I agree how good they look if you can see it though!

Delphinus, good tips. Once you can do em, they are easy forever. Its just getting em the first few times.

As for making them, they are a lot easier than you would think. A couple of these are made using 2 cameras, I just hand held them and tried to get them to take the pictures at the exact time since the fish and corals are all moving somewhat. My two cameras are different models and different color came out so I did a color match in photoshop to make them both look the same. Then you just put the two pictures side by side (right view on left, left view on the right). You have to only have the cameras a couple of inches apart and you will get lots of depth.

Most of these I made with just one camera though and that is why some of the softies that move in the water flow look a little funny since they don't line up perfectly then in the cross eyed view. just take one picture, move the camera to the right a couple of inches and take another view. Try to just frame the exact area in the second picture so its now on a slight angle pointing back at the exact picture boundary.

Try them yourself, I'd love to see someone elses!!

Ruth
02-04-2007, 01:32 PM
OK my head hurts, my eyes hurt and are watering and I have a strange nevous twitch in my check and I still haven't been able to see them in 3D even using Tony's famous finger technique (I can think of another use for the finger at this point)
I can never see those stupid maze images pop out either.
I'm off to my therepy session now.

Delphinus
02-04-2007, 04:47 PM
LOL Ruth .. :)

Thanks for the tip vertex. I want to try this too now. :)

titus
02-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Hello,

My eyes hurt too. Very tired... somewhat dizzy.

Titus

fishwave
02-19-2007, 01:03 AM
ehh headache...

Diana
02-19-2007, 01:34 AM
same, time for a lawsuit... ;)

Chad
02-19-2007, 03:32 AM
The big ones are definitely better.. very cool :)