PDA

View Full Version : use for old pump

DJKoop
02-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I have a Gen-X GX 8500 pump I am using to pump water from a big refugium in my basement to my tank upstairs. ( lots of head preasure) I am in the porcess of setting up a new 90 gal. downstairs in the rec. room I am building and plan on transfering contents of tank upstairs to the new one. Question I have is do I still have a use for this pump? Capable of 2250 gal/hr. I don't really want to sell it, always runs great and never had a problem. ( it is adjustable for flow) What can I use this for in my new tank or is it just too much?

Fish
02-03-2007, 08:23 PM
I think that the pump would work on your 90. If you are happy with the pump it would be a shame to get rid of it. Are you using a sump?
It might be too big for sump return (unless you have a big sump). You could use it on a closed loop and split the return line into 4 (or more) lines so that the velocity from each isn;t too much. Then just use a small pump for your sump return. Or you might be able to use the pump as a sump return and tee a line off to run your skimmer as well...
With a 90gal tank I would be shotting for around 270gph anyways so... I definitely think you could make it work.

- Chad

DJKoop
02-03-2007, 08:49 PM
This is the list of stuff I have gatherd for my new tank so far

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30075

DJKoop
02-03-2007, 08:51 PM
If I did use it in a closed loop how would I keep the intake port from sucking up all the contents of the tank or fish? Would create one hell of a suction.

Fish
02-03-2007, 08:57 PM
That's a good point. The only reason that I thought it might be tough as a sump return is that it would be a ton of water for an overflow to handle and a ton of water going through a smaller sump.

I guess in a closed loop you would have to probably split the intake into two pipes, maybe one in each corner, and have a threaded screen in each intake... you're right though, that is a lot of suction to have in one place...