PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep jawfish and anemone together?

chicki
11-10-2002, 09:27 PM
Can you keep these two in the same tank? Say 180 gallon? I've heard different theories on it??

Samw
11-10-2002, 10:01 PM
I'm just guessing here but I would guess yes if you have BTA or Sebae. No if you have a Carpet. I have lots of little gobies and a mandarin with my BTA and Sebae and they are fine.

pocilipora
11-11-2002, 12:19 AM
I have 2 Jawfish and a bubble tip in a 90gal everythings fine.

ranz
11-18-2002, 08:24 AM
Can you keep these two in the same tank? Say 180 gallon? I've heard different theories on it??

I have two different types of Anemones and One jawfish and one Gobby and no problems so far...

Delphinus
11-18-2002, 02:52 PM
Basically Sam is bang on the money: for some/most species of anemone, sure, espescially in a 180g. But carpets ... most bottom dwellers, including jawfish, would be at quite high risk.

There is no worry about your BTA taking down a jawfish. BTA's are not aggressive predators. Mostly opportunistic scavengers. Even though shrimp and other crustaceans seem to be their favourite food, even shrimp (e.g., cleaners, peppermints) learn quickly that it's pretty safe to dance in the tentacles of a BTA to steal its food (as long as they vacate quickly).

The real problem I found with jawfish is bristle worms. In most cases bristle worms are a very healthy and beneficial member of the reefing community. But, they tend to invade & occupy jawfish burrows. As we all probably know by now, contact with a bristle worm is not unlike contact with stinging nettle or mild insect bites. Constant exposure to this for a fish can be bothersome. You may end up noticing welts and/or blisters on the fish. If you see this on your jawfish, it may well be the bristle worms.

I don't know what the solution is. About anything that eats bristle worms is (I would guess), would be an incompatible tankmate to a jawfish too (I wouldn't know ... I am just speculating).