PDA

View Full Version : skimmer, what do you think?

maj154
02-02-2007, 03:35 AM
I found that online, what do you guys think?

http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/DIYskimmer.php

SuperFudge
02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Hello Maj,

Unfortunatly it looks as if that would be not such a good design.

-the injector looks like a nightmare, if not impossible to disassemble and clean.
- the transition from reaction tube to neck looks flat, this is where bubbles will fuse, making an unstable foam.
-the output is way too high on the box, letting too many microbubbles escape.
-the injector used there is an old school design, similar to the old ets downdraft models....prone to clogging.
-much better to drill the base of the cup for waste than the side, looks like that isnt much of an option with that design.

After running these types for a few years, ive realized they perform 100% better as recirculating.
The foam and its consistancy isnt even comparable between the two.
the injector tower is raised much closer to the intended water line, and much less water "throughput" is used while the injected rate stays much the same.

I also noticed that that particular one uses what looks like a 1" gate...too small if ran non-recirculated.
that injector needs atleast 1200 gph to perform decent, and that valve/bulkhead will back the water line in the skimmer up too high.( for that design)

Marc.

kari
02-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Not worth the $ in material costs. Maybe revise the plan to a beckett style injector and change the top half of the skimmer. I think the plan attached a bit outdated.