PDA

View Full Version : Euro-reef RS 135 setup?

Neil
02-02-2007, 01:16 AM
i have had an euroreef rs 135 on my tank for a few weeks now (with sedra pump). I find it skims really nicely- sometimes. im constantly adjusting the riser pipe to get the skimming bubbles at the right height (sure the water level can change 1-2 inches in my sump due to evap over a few days). Today for example, i go downstairs to see the bubbles just in the base of the neck, so i adjust the riser to get them to about an inch lower than where it spiils into the cup, so its skimming for a while, and then i come downstairs and its not even bubbling anymore- its just churning water with about 1/4 ich of bubbles ontop of it about half way up the neck. the venturi hose is clear- i hear it sucking air, valve is wide open, i pulled the inlet off the pump the other night to see if anything was obstructing it- and no. It seems hit and miss, sometimes not even making foam. i use prime conditioner btw. I have read many things about these skimmers (and none bad)- mainly that they are advertised as plug and play- well, im done playing- i just want to plug and skim. Any advice from exp'd ER uses?

albert_dao
02-02-2007, 02:04 AM
You're skimmer should be in a sump chamber that is not subject to water level variance.

maron6977
02-02-2007, 02:27 AM
I second that

Johnny Reefer
02-02-2007, 02:29 AM
You're skimmer should be in a sump chamber that is not subject to water level variance.
Agreed.
I just set up two RS 250's. One on my Reef and one on my FOWLR. For a little bit I was topping off the sumps manually, before I had a chance to get the auto top-offs going. I was having to adjust mine too. Now that my auto top-offs are going the Reef skimmer just skims away. The FOWLR skimmer I've still had to play with but I think that is related to a Paly that was being eaten by something. The paly is out now so I'm keen to see how the FOWLR skimmer will now do.

Cheers,

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-02-2007, 03:06 AM
If your sump was set up the right way, it would have a bottom baffle that keeps the water in the sump chamber constant & only in the rest of the sump does the water level change with evaporation & top up. My ASM G3 is in such a chamber & it works great.

Anthony

Jaws
02-02-2007, 05:12 AM
If your sump was set up the right way, it would have a bottom baffle that keeps the water in the sump chamber constant & only in the rest of the sump does the water level change with evaporation & top upAnthony

I've never seen this before. How is it different from other sumps? Do you have any pics to compare?

Renegade
02-02-2007, 05:24 AM
i also have the Euro Reef 135 And i absolutly love it, i don't have my auto top off set up set (new tank only going 1 week) but it skims like crazy. if you adjust it you have to take into account, the oils and stuff from your hands can through it off, jst make sure your giving 4-8hrs between adjustments otherwise you'll always be battling to find the sweet spot.

Kyle

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-02-2007, 05:31 AM
The first baffle is sealed at the bottom & the water cascades over the top. That way, the water level is always the same height.

If the first baffle is raised, then the water goes out below & the water level will change as water evaporates.

My sump has 2 baffles. The first forces water over, the second pulls water under & into the chamber with the return pumps.

First chamber - Skimmer section. The middle chamber is largest, with macro & frags. Last chamber is smallest, for return pumps.

Anthony

PS. I'll post pics later.