PDA

View Full Version : Why do anemones clone?

MikeP
02-01-2007, 11:10 PM
I bought a small (2-3 inches) GBTA clone from someone a few months ago. Now it has cloned itself again. I thought it might do this a some point, maybe when it was full grown but like I said it's just a small one. Is this typical? Why do they clone in the first place? And why would mine clone at such a young age?

Thanks for any info.
Mike

BC564
02-01-2007, 11:15 PM
did you want to sell it? and do you have a pic?

i have crabs
02-01-2007, 11:45 PM
i wish i knew, i have a huge condy that could use a downsize.

Quagmire
02-01-2007, 11:53 PM
If you have been feeding it well,it may have cloned due to favorable conditions.But then they will also clone in poor conditions as a survival tactic.So its hard to say why they clone :razz: BTW the size of an anemone isn't an indication of age.It does take time for one to get big,but depending on conditions,another of the same age may stay small it whole life.Or keep splitting like yours seems to be doing.Nice to have a splitter:biggrin:

Beverly
02-02-2007, 01:00 AM
I haven't a clue why my GBTA has split 5 times over the last 14 months. It seems to get to a certain size, then wham! it splits. My RBTA, on the other hand, has not split once in the 13 months we've had it. Go figure.

trilinearmipmap
02-02-2007, 01:14 AM
When I wanted to make my RBTA's split I fed heavily for a couple of weeks then stopped feeding. I read about this somewhere on the internet and it worked, who knows why. I haven't fed the anemones for the past year or so and they have not split again.

MikeP
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM
did you want to sell it? and do you have a pic?

I think I'll hang onto it for now. If it splits again I'll put one up for sale. If you want one right away I could ask the guy I got mine from if he has any more.

LMK
Mike

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-02-2007, 11:17 PM
I wish mine would clone but they just keep growing. Dinner plate size & up. The only one that "cloned" was one that got ripped in 2 accidentally during the tank transfer. Fortunately, both are alive & doing well.

Anthony

MikeP
02-03-2007, 02:23 AM
I wish mine would clone but they just keep growing. Dinner plate size & up. The only one that "cloned" was one that got ripped in 2 accidentally during the tank transfer. Fortunately, both are alive & doing well.

Anthony

I was hoping that mine would get bigger. I was making sure he got lots to eat, he grew a bit but then split. Maybe target feed yours every other day. It seems like mine split cause conditions were good.

Just a thought :)

G1GY
02-03-2007, 04:37 AM
I've had mine split quite a few times. I normaly don't feed them that often and when I start feeding them is usualy when they split.

I don't why.:question:

EmilyB
02-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Mine always cloned after 2 x large water changes. I adopted a notorious splitter, it settled down and quit splitting when it settled with a pair of breeding maroons.