PDA

View Full Version : MJ1200 as return for sump

andsoitgoes
02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Okay - so I'm getting a WEE bit of conflicting info and wanted to pass this around to the "Masses".

I'm really into getting my sump up and giong this weekend, in this post, I have pictures of what my sump design looks like:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30003

I've had a few people mention that I can just cap off the outflow bulkhead, and run a MJ 1200 with a standard clear tube, as it wouldn't be possible (from my understanding) to put the 1200 into a return tube, it's just too small. The sump is 24l x 16.5h x 12w, approx 21g (I know, odd size..)

However, doing the calculations on ReefCentral, it's telling me that at approx 2 feet, with no bends/connectors/etc - I'm going to get a whopping 53gph flow... That's just over 1x, which I'm sure wouldn't be HORRIBLE, but I figured I'd get at least 100 or so GPH. Seeing another thread on here that talks about the GPH recommendation of 10x/hr or more, I'm concerned. Should I run 2 MJ1200's and again, just forego the bulkhead?

Thanks in advance!!

Nick

BCOrchidGuy
02-01-2007, 09:42 PM
As a sump return you don't need to have the 10x tank capacity. In your tank you should have at least 10x the capacity for flow but a lot of your flow needs are determined by the coral that you keep. In my old 90 gallon I had in the area of 3000GPH flow but a lot of that was behind rocks and in tank plumbing. Having say a Mag9 would be overkill in my opinion. Yes you'd have tons of water movement but in my opinion you'd have to much water flowing through the sump. Granted the MJ1200 is a bit on the small side for your needs I'd say your sump flow should be fairly limited but again that is determined by what you are using the sump for. If you intend for it to house heaters, filtration, DSB, Macro algaes then you'll want a slower water flow but if you just want it as a holding tank to aerate your water then you'd want a lot more water flow.

For my 60 gallon I'm using a Mag5 return but my sump is going to contain my skimmer, a coil denitrator a Kalk reactor, auto (gravity fed) FW top off and probably a refugium with a DSB and Macro Algaes. My sump is a 20 gallon long and my refugium which is seperate is about 15 gallons but the refugium will be fed by a small Rio from the sump.

Doug

andsoitgoes
02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Okay - good. I've got the 10x return easy in my main tank, my MJ1200 + 301 will achieve that, and I'm thinking of adding another power head in there once I reorganize with the sump.

I'm actually planning on using the sump for skimming, heat, macro/fuge and as added water, so that helps - having the 50 or so GPH won't be too bad then, right?

BCOrchidGuy
02-01-2007, 09:46 PM
In my opinion it wouldn't be bad. Maybe double that would be good too but I don't see a problem with that.

Doug

mark
02-01-2007, 10:04 PM
I use a MJ1200 for my water changes from a rubbermaid container (plastic garbage can) to my sump which base sits 4 feet off the floor.

Using a 1/2" clear vinyl tubing takes probably 10-15 minutes to move 60L.