PDA

View Full Version : Dez, can you explain that cal thing again??

chicki
11-09-2002, 02:16 PM
Hi Dez,

I'm finding that I'm having to add 2 cups of C-balance everynight to keep up with the calcium levels. It's getting slightly expensive, but so very easy to do. When I was at your place and you showed me that "thing" that dripped kalk into your tank, what is it again? and do I need a pump for it as well? Could you hook me up with one? how much are they? explain again, thanks (you know I'm kinda daft when it comes to the equipment part!)

Dez
11-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Lynn,

Come check it out. I just used a fluidized bed filter. It's really easy to make if you don't have one. Just pvc pipe, or a pop bottle - one hole at the bottom and one at the top. Pump is a powerhead from reservoir...I had to play around with with powerhead to use. It's easier to see in person..

Call me...

Des

chicki
12-02-2002, 01:21 AM
ok its finally up and actually working!! Gad! I almost gave up, it kept leaking. I used a large juice plastic bottle and added only a couple inches of kalk, do I need to put more in? or will it work like this for a while.
I bought 25 pounds of LR last Monday and 35 lbs on Friday night..I'm up to 210 pounds now! Should I start removing the bioballs??

Dez
12-03-2002, 02:48 PM
Bioballs can be gone....

FishGeek
12-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Don't take it all out at once! Take out a little at a time. you don't want to give your system a shock. Try taking out 1/4 every week, over the coarse of a couple months. Just my opinion

Simon

Dez
12-03-2002, 11:09 PM
When I moved my 90 to the 150, I took the bioballs out completely, not even a bit of a spike....

Des

FishGeek
12-04-2002, 07:36 PM
yah but Dez, your tank is wierd :D

StirCrazy
12-04-2002, 11:50 PM
if it is a established tank with a normal to low bioload you should be able to take the balls out all at ones.. there should be plenty of backteria in the sand a rock to handle it..

Steve