PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for Takin Pics?!?!

krisalexander
02-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Well, after struggling for an hour trying to get good pics, I decided that I must be doing something wrong. I know a Tri-pod may help. I just recently bought a new camera. (the new Samsung Digimax i6) Just wondering if anyone has any tricks for taking pics. Thanks

Kris

niloc16
02-01-2007, 09:14 AM
i've wasted a ton of hours trying to get the picture right. i think melevsreef.com has some good input on taking pictures in the tank, try that. hows the tank coming? it was good to meet you the other day.

Der_Iron_Chef
02-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Get to know the features on your camera, first of all. Utilize the macro setting(s) as well as ways to create a dramatic depth of field (aperture priority/f-stop/etc.) If you're trying to take pictures of fast-moving objects, you're obviously going to need to use a faster shutter speed, which will require more lighting. Understanding the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, lighting, etc. goes a long way! Tripods do help, too.

Above all, take LOTS and LOTS of photos, because you're more likely to get at least one that you really like. :smile:

Snappy
02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
what are you trying to photograph?

TRS
02-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Here is link: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-01/gr/index.php HTH

AndyL
02-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Basic fun is 2-3 hours before you want to take a shot - give the glass a good once over with the mag float / scraper. Once that's done - windex on the outside glass. 2-3 hours later it should have settled.

Set your camera up on a tripod... Turn out all lights but the tank's own lighting - if open top try to eliminate any leakage into the room. Turn off the flash, then it's a matter of playing with settings to see what works best.

krisalexander
02-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the input, I am trying to take pictures of corals, and fish.. I get some good pics of my fish but only when they are still...I will try some of the techniques as for the macro settings..There is no visible options to change that. It is a good camera, but with only a 3X optical zoom. It is a little hard to get a good pic. Colin is what great to meet you the other day as well. I will have to make it over to see your tank soon! Next time you are out and about give me a call would love to show you my tank. You would be the first reefer to see my tank. I just added a new wrasse. Unbelievable!
Thanks for any input.

Kris

Snappy
02-02-2007, 02:42 PM
For macro shots I find the more megapixels the better. If you have the macro setting on you don't need to zoom in really close. You can later maginfy and crop to get the same results if your camera has a reasonable amount of MP. For example my camera only zooms in similar to yours but it has 8.1 mp so when I magnify the picture it is still really clear.
Hope that helps.