PDA

View Full Version : Sand sifter

1bigstud
02-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Thinking of adding one to a 77 gallon reef. It's a deep sand bed any suggestions???

G1GY
02-01-2007, 04:30 AM
I've heard that they can actualy strip the sandbed of anything good. But I'm not sure that's true.

justinl
02-01-2007, 06:37 AM
well the main function of a sand sifter is to sift sand. hence the name:wink: It seems logical that a few might munch on life in the bed, but hey, it's a give and take relationship isn't it? Just so long as you don't throw in too many things that strip the bed (what those include, I don't know) of life, I think things will turn out anywhere from okay to better than before. At least you won't get the black-anoxic-toxic-and-generally-just-plain-icky sand that unstirred DSBs are known for.

as for suggestions for a reef sifter, i hear good things about various gobies. sand sifting stars do a good job. cucumbers are up there too, but Id go for a non toxic one.

krisalexander
02-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Hey,
I have a nice sand bed, and it is nicely maintained by two twin spotted gobies. (AKA 4 wheel drive gobies) One of my favourite fish.
Here is a picture of Barnes and Noble...

Kris

DanG
02-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Depending on how wide the tank is, a strawberry conch would be good if you don't have a ton of surface area, but if it's a shallower and longer/wider tank, a spider conch would work, but they get big, really big.

1bigstud
02-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Beautiful fish Krisalexander. I think I'm leaning torward gobies, any recommendations?

ponokareefer
02-02-2007, 09:05 PM
I have a sandsifting star that does a good job. I don't see it much though. The only issue I have heard with gobies is if you have anything in the sand, corals or clams. I had a goby that would sometimes put the substrate on corals.

TNTCanada
02-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I am a big fan of the sand sifting star fish... they do a good job at keeping my sand nice and white. Had a goby but got rid of it as it was always spitting out sand on top of all my Zoos and live rock.

Cheers
Tyler

Black Phantom
02-03-2007, 03:21 AM
My sifter is two years in my tank and seems to have done very well for himself. My sand bed is quite deep as well so I'm sure he has plenty to eat. I don't think I would go any smaller then a 77.
You will want to make sure that your tank is well established so he has a good food source. You should be able to see a lot of worms and such up against the glass. They won't eat anything but live food.
Hope this helps

krisalexander
02-03-2007, 07:18 AM
1bigstud, I would definately recomend the twin spotted goby...They are fun to watch and sweet looking and watching them open their mouths and eat the sand then it filters the sand through its gills...

Kris

cav~firez22
02-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I have 2 sand sifters, and 2 gobies. I like the sand sifters, they keep the sand bed moving which is nice

michika
02-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I have to say I recommed both sand sifting stars and strawberry or lipstick conches. I have some of both in my 230 and they do a wonderful job of keeping my sand white, turned over, and fresh looking. It saves me having to cleam the sand myself or change it once and awhile.

1bigstud
02-03-2007, 07:47 PM
1bigstud, I would definately recomend the twin spotted goby...They are fun to watch and sweet looking and watching them open their mouths and eat the sand then it filters the sand through its gills...

Kris

After seeing the pic of you r fish I may just have to get some as well. Do these fish eat food other than whats in the sand bed???

krisalexander
02-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I have heard stories of ppl getting them them to eat brine, or mysid, mine dont yet....I am going to try with some live brine shrimp, and then use a turkey baster and put some near it and maybe it will go for it??
(they are very similar to mandarins)
Let me know what you decide...
Kris

deep_six
02-03-2007, 10:49 PM
I just added a sand sifting star about a week ago. So far it is doing a good job.Though I've only seen it a couple of times, I'm pretty happy with it.:biggrin:

Doug
02-04-2007, 01:00 PM
If sleeper gobies have a problem eating, try placing a pellet food like Hakarii, in various places in the sand. It sometimes gets them eating prepared foods. Once started they eat anything. Mine were pigs.

Its doubtful that any of our sandbeds can sustain sifters of any type for long periods, unless replaced by more live sand. They will deplete it in no time. The sand sifting stars seem to be the worse, as they eat nothing else. They will eat all the fauna in the sandbed and then slowly perish, or at least thats what the "experts" say in their writings.

Most of them, {the ones that write all the sandbed articles}, are against the use of sand sifting animals, because of the depletion of the critters in the bed, that are required to keep it a "live sandbed".

just thought I would add this post for whatever its worth. :lol:

I always liked my sleeper gobies, back when I had a dsb.