PDA

View Full Version : FREE snails for cyano. test

allincuddy
01-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi, I have just brought in Nassarius Ilyanassa Obsoleta snails, and it has been discussed that they eat red cyano. and are quit effiecent at it.
I will give snails to someone who has a large cyano. problem in their tank, and all I ask is that they post the results over a period of time, or hopefully until the problem is under control in return, I would like to see before and after pictures posted and an update to good, bad or neutral.
So please post or Pm me a picture of your cyano.problem and tank size and we can get the test underway.
Thanks.

If this is in the wrong forum, plase move.

JOSH
01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
haha if i didnt juust clean my sand i could show you a sheet of cyano, if/when it comes back i'll post pics

EmilyB
02-01-2007, 02:15 AM
With the problems I am having right now with reduced flow cyano is taking over everywhere. Would I be a good test subject ?

Oh, maybe not....I have a trigger, do they hide during the day?????

G1GY
02-01-2007, 02:53 AM
Oh, maybe not....I have a trigger, do they hide during the day?????

If you have sand, you won't see them during the day Deb. I have some from the last batch that even the little rat bastard pistol shrimp in my tank has not caught yet. :)

Delphinus
02-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Don't want to rain on the parade but I still have many of the snails I bought last year and they don't do much for my cyano. Hope that someone else has different results of course but in the last month what with my nitrate woes in my ritteri tank, I ended up doing a red slime remover treatment (because the cyano was out of control beyond belief) and the cyano was back (albeit not as bad as before, thank goodness) within 2 weeks. I still have patches of cyano on the sand right now and the snails don't do anything for it. :(

But then most things kinda work out that way for me. I've never had a peppermint shrimp that ate aiptasia, my CBB doesn't eat aiptasia, I've never had an emerald crab that ate valonia, etc. etc. etc. These things are all urban myths to me :lol:

allincuddy
02-01-2007, 03:29 AM
Deb, if you want to give them a try, I could arrange dropping some off when I deliver to the people that ordered them next week.
I am curious to see what they will do, as I have hada few reports of them eating cyano. but have not witnessed it personally. I think it would be a good test, but do you have any sand for a little hidding away from the fish?
Thanks,
Mark

EmilyB
02-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Mark, I could actually protect an area if that might be an option.

allincuddy
02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Deb,
lets try it. Are these going into your big tank? If so how many gallons? Just want to make sure we put in enough snails. Ihave 100 set aside for this test.
Letme know.
Thanks,
Mark

Duffer2
02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Mark,

I believe I'm going to be one of the recipients of your order for the snails, and as chance would have it I'm currently battling a cyno outbreak.

I ended up taking out a couple of the really bad rocks and boiling them and cleaning the whole tank last weekend, but I know my red friend will be back very soon. I will post with the results from my snails as well!

Dave

EmilyB
02-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Well, what I don't have is sand Mark, it's bb. So maybe I'm not the best candidate.

allincuddy
02-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Deb, lets try it and see what happens. If they do well then they have answered two question,
bare bottom and cyano.:biggrin:
Thanks

Snappy
02-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Some types of conches eat cyano as well, so will blue leg hermits for that matter, as well as hair algae. That is my experience with them.