PDA

View Full Version : WTB filter fibre?

surgeonfish
01-31-2007, 05:44 AM
I am looking for bulk filter fibre for my trickle filter. A local (Lethbridge) LFS has what resembles bulk Blue Bonded Filter Floss but wants $0.30/inch!!! The only place I have seen bulk filter floss is at Big Al's. They want $15 for 20'. Any LFS in Calgary selling it in bulk or is anyone using something else? I use a 16"x16" piece weekly.
Tanks,

G1GY
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Quilting material from the fabric store works great.

$5 or $6 a square yard is pretty cheap. :biggrin:

Pescador
01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
I was going to suggest that as well but I see on RC that a lot of it as well as furnace filter material is treated with flame retardent. I've used it and I'm sure a lot of other people have as well but some one thought it was a concern.

G1GY
01-31-2007, 07:08 PM
I was going to suggest that as well but I see on RC that a lot of it as well as furnace filter material is treated with flame retardent. I've used it and I'm sure a lot of other people have as well but some one thought it was a concern.

Furnace filter material is coated in oil to help it grab fine dust. Quilting material is just cotton fibers. :) I used it for years in FW filters.

kwirky
01-31-2007, 09:30 PM
gold's has the stuff that's attached to blue sponge. forget the price though, but you can call 'em, or send albert_dao a Q