PDA

View Full Version : marinetech Ca reactor...

fishface
01-31-2007, 02:44 AM
i feel like a bit of a knob asking this question but here goes nuthin. does anyone have one of these reactors? i've got a CR-1 that has, what i believe to be terrible instructions so i, for the life of me cannot figure out how to hook it up.:redface: very embarrasing to say the least...but if anyone out there has one of these contraptions i would love a little info about how you set it up...

thanks,

BCOrchidGuy
01-31-2007, 02:50 AM
Why a knob? It's a good question. I built a couple Ca reactors as have a lot of people here but I'm sure someone in Surrey can help you out with it.

Doug

Jason McK
01-31-2007, 02:54 AM
Hey Darryl, If you need a hand I could swing buy some time. Or if you take a pic or link to the instructions online I'm sure we could all help figure it out

J

fishface
01-31-2007, 03:09 AM
Hey Darryl, If you need a hand I could swing buy some time. Or if you take a pic or link to the instructions online I'm sure we could all help figure it out

Ji'd really appreciate that J. let's try this first...

there's a JG fitting at the bottom, top and a 1/2 inch fitting on top as well. if you look really carefully, there's also a bubble counter on the right hand side behind the riser tube. my best guess is thst's where i connect the CO2 but the other ones i'm not sure of.

ps. not sure what the extra valve on the table is for either :)

Jason McK
01-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Ok so there has to be a water in. a water out and a CO2 in. Typically the water out is controled by a valve or some sort and the CO2 in is through a bubble counter. In many reactors the water in is at the botom and the water out is at the top. Does this make any sense.

J

niloc16
01-31-2007, 03:25 AM
i have a reactor just like this by marinetech. the water in is at the bottom near the pump. the water out is at the top of the chamber. you plumb the shutoff valve at the top of the chamber water out line to control your effluent. the co2 in is at the top of the bubble counter chamber. hope this helps. any other questions feel free to ask. hope i was clear, i'm at work so rushed to write this

fishface
01-31-2007, 03:52 AM
thanks for your help guys. i guess where i get lost is that water in, water out and co2...so what's the extra in or output for?? there's 4 in total...
and the valve is for control of the effluent is this correct?

mark
01-31-2007, 04:00 AM
Don't have a Reef Creations but often, water in and out, CO2 in, then CO2 recirculation.

Valve for effluent drip rate, seen posts where easier to control/adjust if on the output.

fishface
01-31-2007, 04:14 AM
i have a reactor just like this by marinetech. the water in is at the bottom near the pump. the water out is at the top of the chamber. you plumb the shutoff valve at the top of the chamber water out line to control your effluent. the co2 in is at the top of the bubble counter chamber. hope this helps. any other questions feel free to ask. hope i was clear, i'm at work so rushed to write thishey Colin, i've got two fittings on the top though, 1/4" JG and 1/2" fitting. so any idea what the other one's for...is the 1/4" the effluent line to the sump?

untamed
01-31-2007, 04:36 AM
Looking the picture...is it possible that the large fitting on the top is a spot to insert a pH probe? It looks too large to be JG fitting. It looks like a probe holder/fitting to me.

fishface
01-31-2007, 04:44 AM
Looking the picture...is it possible that the large fitting on the top is a spot to insert a pH probe? It looks too large to be JG fitting. It looks like a probe holder/fitting to me.OOOHHHH! yah know what...you very well may be right about that. one does fit in there quite perfectly. is that an option on Ca reactors usually? it's seems to be a compression type fitting, the more i tighten the nut on top, the more it cinches up on whatever is stuck into it! what do ya think?

untamed
01-31-2007, 04:45 AM
At the risk of confusing you more...

The CO2 line should go...into the bottom of the bubble counter, then out of the top of the bubble counter and into the highest fitting that is near the pump.

The input water line goes into the other fitting that is right near the pump.

The output water line connects to the top 1/4" JG fitting. I notice that the valve is sitting on the table beside the reactor. That valve is usually installed right into the top of the reactor. If the valve were installed, the output water line would be connected to that valve.

If you don't have a pH probe, you'll need to close that other, larger hole at the top of the reactor.

untamed
01-31-2007, 04:46 AM
OOOHHHH! yah know what...you very well may be right about that. one does fit in there quite perfectly. is that an option on Ca reactors usually? it's seems to be a compression type fitting, the more i tighten the nut on top, the more it cinches up on whatever is stuck into it! what do ya think?

Yes...that is certainly what that is.

niloc16
01-31-2007, 04:58 AM
the other port at the top of the chamber is for a ph probe. the co2 enters into the JG fitting at thetop of bubble counter and then the co2 enters the recirc chamber for the pump from there. the water in is at the bottom nearest to the pump.

fishface
01-31-2007, 05:24 AM
then there ya have it!! now that all makes sense to me...i appreciate all your help on this guys.

fishface
01-31-2007, 06:01 AM
so then i hook up my pH monitor and set it somwhere between 6.6-7?

niloc16
01-31-2007, 06:09 AM
around 6.5 to 6.7. depends on the media you are using. some media will turn to mush at lower ph but i'm using reef bones and have hit 6.3 in my chamber and the media is ok. just watch your media and your tank KH and CA and adjust from there. remember when you make adjustments, make small adjustment and give it a day before checking your parameters again. keep a chart going as to drip effluent to bubbles co2 and then you can compare how drastic of adjustments give you so much KH and CA readings, if that makes sense.

fishface
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM
funny thing is...i just found out this isn't a myreefcreations reactor after all. so i have no idea who made it. the box said CR-1 on it and that's all, no instructions, no nothing else! anyone recognize it? :)

niloc16
01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
where did you buy it from? it really looks like a marinetech reactor to me. i could be wrong though but it looks identical to mine but smaller

fishface
01-31-2007, 06:28 PM
you're right Colin, talked to Jason from Proline and got the full scoop...

Thanks Jason for your excellent service!

niloc16
02-01-2007, 01:00 AM
no prob fishface, let me know if you have anymore questions

fishface
02-01-2007, 01:01 AM
no prob fishface, let me know if you have anymore questions
what are you using to feed your reactor Colin??

Tarolisol
02-01-2007, 02:24 AM
I have the marinetech reactor with two chambers and since i never owned a reactor before the lack of instructions didnt help. proline helped alot though. Id try them.

niloc16
02-01-2007, 02:39 AM
i'm using an eheim 1262 i think it is

fishface
02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
got a problem. just tried hooking this unit up and got a leak between the pump and riser tube, at the volute specifically. when i talked to Jason he mentioned to lube o-rings with silicone which i did but low and behold i've got myself a fairly substantial leak. i've already tried to remove the silicone to see if it made a diff but nada. any suggestions peeps?

niloc16
02-04-2007, 12:13 AM
when the unit is apart can you see and hairline crack anywhere? what about burrs along the oring mating surface. if there is any burrs just file them down with a file. inspect the oring all away around to make sure it is perfectly round, if there is a flat spot anywhere replace it. sometimes when the unit is assembled the oring will get pinched or actually rip a piece of the oring off.

Mike Olson
02-04-2007, 09:36 AM
The 1/2 inch is for a probe...Mine didnt come with any instructions,,,,,,Thanks Jason for the Reator 101 lesson!

fishface
04-01-2007, 07:22 PM
so i've got a question for those who may be in the know. i've seemed to iron out the operation of the reactor for the most part, now it's time to tune it. i've read a bit and from what i gather, it mentions to get my alk in line and Ca will follow. well, alk seems to be rising but can't keep up with Ca, it's dropping rapidly to the point i had to add turbo Ca.

numbers as of today are: Ca 380ppm (and falling) alk 6.8dKH and rising and Mg 1380ppm. can anyone tell me what the deal is here?

fishface
04-03-2007, 12:10 AM
no advice :sad: from anyone??

niloc16
04-03-2007, 12:29 AM
i would say both Alk and Ca need to come up. i suggest increase effluent by half and do the same for co2 as long as your ph in reactor stays around 6.7. i had the same issue and when i did this it brought both up evenly.

fishface
04-03-2007, 12:33 AM
i would say both Alk and Ca need to come up. i suggest increase effluent by half and do the same for co2 as long as your ph in reactor stays around 6.7. i had the same issue and when i did this it brought both up evenly.
i agree on the alk and Ca...definately the core of my problem here. boost em both huh? will do, thanks for the info Colin...

niloc16
04-03-2007, 12:56 AM
no worries, just remember to increase both the same amount. make sure the ph is the reactor is right and then test the tank 24 hours later and see how it goes.