PDA

View Full Version : de-humidifiers

Dez
11-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Does anybody run these things? The humidity in my house is bad now that I've got 3 tanks going. I'm thinking about getting a dehumidifier. They are a stand alone unit (13.5 x 12 x 20 inches tall) and it does 1500 square feet. It drains into a bucket or floor drain. I am wondering if it would be safe to drain it back into my reservoir for my tank because after all, it's just taking the water out of the air right? Which would be the same as distilled water? I will probably buy the dehumidifier... it's $199. Let me know if any of you has any experience.

Des

Canadian Man
11-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Hey Des.
I know Tony runs one, he should pipe in here some time today.
With my halides now running, all the windows in the house have a frosty appearance to them.
I got a rainforest in my house too :lol:

ldzielak
11-08-2002, 07:49 PM
What model are you talking about Dez? I have been thinking of the same, but I think I would be better off spending the money enclosing my canopy. Both would be great.

I would not re-use the water, you can still get unwated byproducts when condensing you air, not only water condenses.

Lee

TANGOMAN
11-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Isn't it great stumbling through a foggged in kitchen in the morning trying to find the coffee pot...one can run naked through the house without the threat of neighbors phonin' the cops because the windows are covered with moisture...
I personally would be relucctant(Sp. Tony?) to use water collected from a de-humid. unit but we smoke and god forbid I expose my fish to those carcinogenic (SP. Tony?) toxins. :roll: It would just be a matter of time 'til they too were addicted and I'd find a crab, running through the fog, stealin' smokes... :shock:
Would that water be pure ?

zulu_principle
11-08-2002, 08:45 PM
I use a dehumidifier and am quite happy with it, bought it at home depot and it gives me about 1 container each day.

I started with reusing the water, and I can tell you from experience it does not harm any of my fish. I only added it to a FOWLR tank. BUT, I also had consistent Cynobacteria until I stopped using the water. Never did test the water but I assume high phosphates and iron ??

I expected more and when I brought in a guy to look at the system he said I should be more concerned with circulating air so I leave my HVAC on full time.

My two cents worth.

Zulu

aquamansilver
11-08-2002, 09:11 PM
I was just tinking to buy one also... my house is now like the amazone and must have 98% humidity in it.... :shock:

I already looked to buy such "portable" unit for my house last year but was told that it was no good in a 2+ floors house... so I didn't bougth it then... Now the problem is even worst! Does any one have experience with such unit in a 2 floors house? I wonder if there are dehumidifier units that can be attached to the central heating so it is not in the way?

Dez
11-08-2002, 09:32 PM
I looked into getting a central one as well hooked to the vents in the basement. But it would run about $1000. Too much money to be spent. I thought about running glass tops but that doesn't solve the problem...there will still be humidity in the house.... It's mould that I'm concerned about....it's BAD for your health and I care about the house (a lifetime of investment) than my fish. So better get at the root of the problem eh? Anybody run a portable unit? I've got a 2-story house as well...

zulu.... Is yours a stand alone unit? And what's an HVAC?

Thanks..

Des

wayner
11-08-2002, 09:41 PM
I have one and I think it might be for sale, it was bought at sears, removes ??? gallon per day, I think we paid $350 for it, we haven't used it since we moved to Calgary, cause there is no humidity here, it's so dry, i've been competing with our gecko to see who sheds the most skin.

Anyhow, I'll speak to the wife if anyone is interested in it.

zulu_principle
11-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Des

Yes, mine is a stand alone, but this is setup in my fishroom, not the house so not too concerned about mold.

HVAC is Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning Unit.

I've never heard the 2 floor thing, but if you can't keep the temperature constant if becomes more difficult.

Wendell

aka Zulu

Bob I
11-08-2002, 09:55 PM
My two bits worth is that I would be very surprised if anyone in Calgary, or in Admonchuk would ever have a humidity problem. Your central heating will suck that humidity right out. My tanks are in a 10x8 foot room, and the humidity right this moment is 31%, which according to the gauge is dry. :D

Doug
11-08-2002, 09:57 PM
An HRV is the answer guys. The heat recovery air to air exchanger, keeps the air fresh and removes the humidity.

In the summer I use a de-humidifier also, as the outside air is to humid for the HRV to do any good.

Dez
11-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Bob, but all of your tanks are small...you have 2 nano reefs right? That's not going to make much of a difference. I've got a 180 with a 50 gal fuge and 12 gallon sump, a 150 with a 75 gallon sump, and a 54 with a 20 gallon sump...that's a lot of open water in a 600 sq ft main level.

Wayner, is yours a stand alone type? How much and how well does it work?

Also... I've hardly had my heat on in the house because the tanks heat the house in the afternoon/evening and we turn the heat on when we get home from work, and then off before we hit the sack...so I can't rely on my furnace/heat for taking the humidity out....

Any other ideas?

Thanks..

Des

Canadian Man
11-08-2002, 11:17 PM
Dez/Bob.
Bob also runs glass tops on his tank so that would make a diffrence as well.

Bob I
11-08-2002, 11:38 PM
I am sorry guys, I will stand by my statement. When it gets a bit colder i do not think we have to dehumidify. I have a friend who has a hot tub, and has no problems. You will have to go a long way to equal a hot tub. :D

rossb
11-09-2002, 01:11 AM
In my basement I have an open 100 ish gallon pond, a 90 gallon tank and now a 180 gallon tank. The water circulates through a big filter and falls back into the system. Above the tank I have a 1000W Mh light, and the floor has radiant heating. I am planning on adding another 500 W of lights this month. Already my windows are dripping. You can easily detect the humidty when you desend ino my basement. I add 3 gallons of water most days to the system (some is used to water plants ... which I have in abundance).

I would really like to get a plan for one and would be interested in manufacturing one. Anyone else interested? Anyone have a plan?

Canadian Man
11-09-2002, 01:13 AM
I dont have a plan but of course I am always intresed in making something and using my brain. :D

Jayson
11-09-2002, 03:19 AM
Doug is right. You guys will need an HRV to remove the humidity. If you have a two story house this is the only way to go. It attaches to your existing duct work so it will remove moist air from all over the house. I have one of these units in my house. Unforyunetely you will have to have somebody come down and drill 2 holes through your house walls to get fresh air in. the rest is a fairley easy install if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Hope this helps

EmilyB
11-09-2002, 03:29 AM
I have a lot of water in here..... :shock:

And, by all accounts my house should be the worst, as it is not even properly vented - (it was built with a heat exchanger which we have not had in operation for the 8years or so we have owned the house, not due to limited research......) This means no bathroom vents, kitchen vents, etc.

Have you guys got a window open??? :?

sea gnome
11-09-2002, 03:38 AM
Hi, We had a stand alone model for years but I have switched to a ceiling model. No more expensive, doesn't take any room and QUIET. The floor one was noisy, it started gumming up and only working intermitently. The ceiling one is mounted in attic. (Got it from electrical friend for $120, I think it is 220cfm???) Ducting cost $20, vent to roof $10 some tar to seal with$10 and cone vent for ceiling $5. Labour was free in exchange for fish tank :lol: It took about 3 hours to install and I bought humidistat for wall ($20). Just my $.02. Rachel

EmilyB
11-09-2002, 03:48 AM
I don't think we can even begin to compare to BC...my only destination where my luggage arrives wet.. :lol: 8)

Delphinus
11-09-2002, 06:26 AM
My dehumifier is an absolute necessity and I couldn't imagine going through another winter without it. After tank #3 or #4 .... my walls literally rotted out on me. You may think your forced air furnace will rip out that humidity .... I lived in denial for a long time saying that there was -no way- I could possibly need a dehumifier, but I was wrong.

I had to replace my window frames, most of drywall around my windows, and even some sealed units (windows) had failed and accumulated several inches of water. I could have kept minnows in my windows.

Yes, living in Edmonton or Calgary, I guarantee you will get some VERY strange looks if/when you go plunk down $200 to $350 on a dehumidifier. You typically don't need one living out here. But trust me. After about the tenth time I cleaned black mold off my walls .... I said no way can this continue. That investment is one of the best I ever made.

I also use mine to dry wetted carpets (now how on earth could that ever happen) ... ? :roll:

I suppose if you kept your forced air furnace on 100% of the time it might help. I tried that for a month, until I saw my hydro bill ( :shock: ) and that summer fan went right off after that month let me tell you!

So, dehumidifier, yes, wouldn't live without it. Saves my walls, saves my wooden window frames, saves me from black/toxic mold.

I personally wouldn't use the dehumidifier water. I don't even water my plants with it. It's going to contain anything that's in your air (probably not so bad, but still), and plus, I have no idea if the aluminium condensers leech anything into the water. Heavy metals, etc. I personally would not drink water out of an aluminium container -- and anything I wouldn't trust to drink, I don't trust to put in my tanks. It's probably harmless, but if you stop to think about it, you probably end up investing thousands upon thousands of dollars into your livestock. Why risk all that (notwithstanding why risk the healthy of anything alive that depends on you for their health), just to potentially save on a couple bucks worth of water? Not worth it. It could be harmless, but what if it isn't? If you discover it's not harmless, the damage will already be done. No thanks!

Doug
11-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Another fact is dehumidifiers are not very energy efficient, while an HRV uses little energy and saves heat.

Another good house dryer, :D , is my woodstove.

Dez
11-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Tony,

Is yours a stand alone unit? How much? Model? I just want something that works...

Thanks,

Des

Bob I
11-09-2002, 06:31 PM
My dehumifier is an absolute necessity and I couldn't imagine going through another winter without it. After tank #3 or #4 .... my walls literally rotted out on me.
Even factoring in your jungle of Orchids, and other plants, it sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your house. It sounds like the normal ventilation does not work. In Calgary, most people use humidifiers in the winter. It is not unusual for a humidifier to crank a couple of gallons of water into the house in a winter's day. I would be very surprised to see the evaporation from a few aquaria would exceed a couple of gallons. Are your soffit and attic vents plugged I wonder? :?: Deb is right, she has far more water sitting in her house than you do. If anyone should have a problem it should be her. :o

EmilyB
12-28-2002, 12:42 AM
You know.....crow doesn't really taste that bad....... :lol: :lol:

I think Santa's little surprise pushed me over the saturation point... :shock:

Got a little unit today that does 2000 sq.ft. at "pretty wet". Do you leave it on 24/7 guys??

There goes my nice supple skin........ :(

Dez
12-28-2002, 02:13 AM
Hey Deb,

We run it when we aren't home because it's noisy.... And when we're sleeping....it's surprising how much it takes out...

Des

Canadian Man
12-28-2002, 02:24 AM
How much aprox would it add to one's elec. bill?
I am thinking of this in advance cause when I have all the tanks in the
basement in one room, that room is going to be a sauna so having one of these going might be a good idea.

Delphinus
12-28-2002, 04:38 AM
To be honest, I don't notice it on my bill. It must have an impact, but .... if I was to hazard a guess I'd think it's similar to running one of those window-unit air-conditioners.

I don't run mine except when it's very cold outside. With the weather we've had since November, I haven't needed to use it at all this fall/winter (except to dry up carpet when I do another basement flooding). It took out 12 gallons of water from my carpet last week (I left my RO unit on, not noticing that the waste water line had been knocked out of the washing-machine drain line... :oops: )

It really is more of a localized effect. My house still sits at an overall 60-70% humidity even when that thing is cranked.

EmilyB
12-28-2002, 04:53 AM
Well, good to know I can shut it off....it's got one of my lungs in there I think... :lol:

8 cups in 4 hours........
:shock:

BCOrchidGuy
12-28-2002, 05:41 AM
I used to have 65 aquariums set up in one area, plus a few others around the house, Only two were covered and with a simple vent into my furnace area I was able to vent most of the humidity away and maintain too little humidity for my orchids, I had to add a humidifier. NOTE.. that was a vent.. no fan just the simple vent.

Canadian Man
12-30-2002, 04:38 AM
Deb,
Any idea how much your Dehumidifier cost? I ask cause it may have been a xmas gift :?

I might go buy one tommorow. My windows are dripping all over the place.
I guess that 3rd halide over my tank dosen't help any :roll:

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 04:59 AM
I bought the one and ONLY dehumidifier at Sears Northhill. Everything was on sale, and the box had been opened. So, in the end, we got it for $235 including tax.

I think it is getting worse because the outside air is so dry this year..it is trying to suck up our tanks...... :?

Delphinus
12-30-2002, 05:29 AM
Jonathan, I think you can expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $350 (for normal retail) depending on the model. I honestly can't remember -- I might have gotten mine at Canuck Tire, but I might have gotten it at Sears (Chinook Centre). I remember I got a real strange look when I bought it, but hey, if they don't want to sell them they shouldn't stock them! :)

Anyways, both places sell them. Then of course there's the usual Revy, HD, etc. etc. ....

PS. And it's not even really cold yet outside ..... :P

rayjay
01-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Well regardless of those saying a de humidifier is not needed, my windows and drywall rotted out and I had to replace them. I now have the biggest de humidifier I could get and I still have a major problem.
What was explained to me was that houses are built now so tight, that little air is incoming from outdoors where humidity is lowest. Indoors, where we heat recirculated houshould air, we increase the capacity of the air to hold much more water. As the humid warm air contacts cold surfaces, the humidity precipitates, and if enough, runs down to soak everything around.
I replace 20 to 24 litres of water nightly in my tanks. It's either get rid of a lot of tanks til the problem isn't there any more or spend more.
I've decided to spend more and buy the HRV. Here in London is a major manufacturer of Hrv's that builds for major names. I contacted engineering there and they took statistics from my house and calculated that I needed about 240 cfm's of incoming air to remedy my problem. They needed to know the volume of the house, the temperature of the house and fish room, the total surface area of the open water in the house, and how much lenth there would be in duct work there would be on both ends of the HRV.
The unit chosen is a double exchanger unit and at the top of their non-commercial types, a Lifebreath 300DCS.
Lifebreath HRV's (http://www.lifebreath.com/pr_hrv01.htm)