PDA

View Full Version : Thousands of Baby snails

wayner
01-29-2007, 06:19 PM
I have a snail explosion in my tank, tons of baby snails actually taking over everything, there all over the rock, glass, there everywhere, anyone expierence this in their tank?

Joe Reefer
01-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Sounds like collonista snails (http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm).

wayner
01-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the link, I'l have to check out the markings on them when I get home, only snails I've ever added to my tank are astreas, turbos, & nassarious., could of come in with liverock though I guess.

These little guys have been around for a couple of months now, seems like the population is growing, there's so many, they look like a mat in some areas.

Scavenger
01-29-2007, 09:45 PM
It does sound like collonista snails to me as well. My 110 has thousands I'm guessing. I find them very helpful in algae control. In fact, I'm down to 2 turbos, 1 astrea and a few cerinth and nassarius for stocked snails and I'm not having much issue with algae.

I think of them as my free midnight cleanup crew, as they mostly stay hidden during the day.

danny zubot
01-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey Wayne, if you don't want them I'll take a few. My Pistol shrimp will love you for it.:biggrin: BTW, I'm in your neck of the woods now.

wayner
01-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Danny:

Next water change I'll see if I can siphon out a whack of them, I'll pm you to pick up.

Snappy
01-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Wayne I have them too and they spawn like crazy. They are a bit of a nuisance when they get bigger. They force themselves into places to hide and knock a lot of stuff over, but other than that they eat a lot of algae.

DanG
02-01-2007, 12:28 AM
I've had the same thing with cerith snails, I bought 2 of them, now have several hundred of them covering the glass and in the sand bed.

wayner
02-01-2007, 04:19 AM
There clogging up the powerheads.