PDA

View Full Version : reefers...More males or females???

chicki
11-08-2002, 04:20 AM
Just wondering what the percentage of women out there that are into this hobby?? Seems like I only run into "guys" that are into this (which is ok, don't get me wrong) :lol: Seems like there's quit a few women on this board?? Just curious

Canadian Man
11-08-2002, 05:26 AM
This board seems to have a fair amount of women when compared to most.

If I had to make a guess overall I would say men = 95% women = 5%

Aquattro
11-08-2002, 05:51 AM
I think men are more likely to spend money on rocks and sand than women, on average. I know everytime I buy something, my wife shakes her head :D

TANGOMAN
11-08-2002, 03:07 PM
The hobby as whole seems mostly "male oriented", based on what I've seen at boards like this, stores, and "fish auctions". You're not alone Brad on the Mrs. shaking her head. I,(we), get referred to around here as "fish geeks". But can you explain to me this...when we have company, it's NOT me who eagerly shows guests "our" latest aquisition, or explains behavioral characteristics, feeding requirements, disease or algae problems. In fact, just last week we were watching the movie "Creepshow" and there is a scene with Leslie Nielson in an ocean front home. He had a marine aquarium and Margo says, "look, he has a Yellow Tang, a Wrasse, oh and look, a Lion fish just like "Lionell"...this is coming from someone who didn't really know the difference, or care, between a fresh or saltwater system two years ago. A "fish geekette" in the making ?
She has shown an interest and acquired the passion for this interest of mine. Something I still haven't been able to accomplish. You guys that live in Calgary and go with your gal to Big Al's know what I'm talkin' about... "let's go next door to the craft store after ok"... :shock: "yes dear". In fact I've probably seen ya' in there. Head tossed back, eyes rollin' around in your head, draggin' your feet like a kid who has to go with mom to get school supplies...

Aquattro
11-08-2002, 03:14 PM
SOrryDoug, but that ain't the way it is around here! My wife thinks we're all fish geeks also, and decidedly does not want any part of it. She doesn't know the difference between a yellow tang and a green chromis, nor does she care.
However, I am happy alone with the fact she was fine with me putting a 155g tank in the living room. Of course if she ever figured out how much I've spent in the last couple of years, me and the tank would be living in the backyard!! :P

chicki
11-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Too funny!! the only place I'll shop is at the petstores, fishstores or tack shops. or hardware stores!...fish, dogs, horses and parrots!! thats it for me. When the girls were at home and needed cloths...I sent them with their gramma!
I try to talk to my girlfriends about tanks, and they listen politely...but ...I know they are just not into it.
Hubby could take it or leave it. (but I really do think he likes it, the reef tank for sure)He worries about looking after them when I'm laying on the beach somewhere. :roll:

PFisher
11-12-2002, 07:32 PM
I guess that I am one of the lucky ones like TANGOMAN. When I first got into this hobby my wife wasn't sure about the whole thing. I always felt bad dragging her through fish stores. But by the time the tank had cycled she was as excited about our first fish as I was. And now she is always the one that starts telling our guests about the tank before thay have their shoes off. It has even got to the point that we need to go and see the new Disney movie Finding Nemo as soon as it comes out because it stars her favorite fish, a regal tang. It is great when we can share a hobby, it also makes convincing her that we need to spend more money on the tank easier if she has a vested interest in it.

TANGOMAN
11-12-2002, 08:01 PM
"A vested interest in it". :idea: Can I assume you mean she has contributed financially, therefore, additional spending is not only necessary but beneficial ? That's BRILLIANT !!!
The part about feeling bad, dragging her through pet stores. DON'T. She's "banking" :twisted: all those "quick" visits my friend and one day she will collect...ya' see, I think of my situation as a "pay as you go" kinda' deal. A visit to Big Al's is ALWAYS followed by aisle after aisle in the craft store. And if the craft store is closed we're probably goin' to "Linens and Things" to smell candles or something like that. This is after all, a complex hobby :roll:

PFisher
11-12-2002, 08:33 PM
Hmmm, now that you mention it the visits to the fish store are usually followed by a visit to Ikea to look at curtains. Clever, I didn't even see it coming. Oh well, I get to go fish shopping so I am happy.

Delphinus
11-12-2002, 08:55 PM
And if the craft store is closed we're probably goin' to "Linens and Things" to smell candles

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/laughing/yelrotflmao.gif

Oh my, that one rang a little too true.... :D

rossb
11-12-2002, 09:25 PM
I have had a pond for several years. One day we were shopping for pond supplies and my girls saw this reef tank. She said "you could buy me one of those". Our deal is I get it going and maintain it and she picks the fish.
I guess my girl would be a casual reefer...In it for the nice fish and the shopping...

but at golden acres ... and not ikea