PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Need some aiptasia eating peppermints

Hightower
01-28-2007, 06:44 AM
If anyone has some known peppermints that are eating aiptasia, I would like to buy or even rent them.

I have an infestation, and have tried everything under the sun on every forum, to get rid of them. The peppermints I have either dont like them, or are just plain too small to eat the aiptasia.

Other methods seem to work very temporary then they come back with a viscious vengence.

Im in Burnaby

Diana
01-28-2007, 04:44 PM
We've had great success with Joe's Juice, but you do have to be patient with it. It takes several doses to get rid of them, and then there are always going to be the ones you cant reach.

It may sound kind of funny, but if you have a rock that is COMPLETELY covered in aptasia, we might be interested in it, since our Pinnate batfish loves to gobble them up as a snack.

:D
-Diana

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2007, 06:54 PM
The way I understand it there are two different peppermint shrimp, one eats aptasia and the other doesn't. The differences are very subtle but if you are looking for the difference you'll see it. Just do a google search and you should be able to find them, perhaps yours aren't the ones you were expecting.

Doug

Hightower
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
According to J&L these are the peppermints that eat aiptasia but I havent seen them devour any nor any decrease in them even in the little ones.

Thats why I was hoping someone would have a 1 or 2 that are definitly been seen eating them.

Fishfanatic
01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
I bought a copper banded butterfly for my aptasia and within a week he had ate it all, not only that but makes a great addition to the tank and mine leaves my corals alone.

BCOrchidGuy
01-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Copperbands..... (droool) I'd consider growing aptasia just to keep a Copperband.

Doug

Murminator
01-29-2007, 03:15 AM
The wife and I were watching a peppermint doing battle with a BIG aptasia tonight it's kinda funny to watch, he pecks at them to make them go in their hole then attacks them in the hole. The aptasia won tonight but I don't think he will win against my needle full of boiling vinigar....MUHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

DJKoop
01-29-2007, 05:01 AM
A buddy of mine had the worst infestation ever. Every surface was covered, litteraly. He bought a Racoon butterfly and in about 2 weeks the tank is 75% clean. Amazing job.

Hightower
01-29-2007, 05:26 AM
Butterflies and copperbands are probably good, but not if you have a reef with small inverts. there wont be any of those left either.