PDA

View Full Version : Coral spawning?

Son Of Skyline
11-07-2002, 06:39 AM
I've been seeing footage of coral spawning in nature recenty on the good old Discovery Channel. Has there ever been a documented case of this happening with corals in captivity? It seems very interesting.

One_Divided
11-07-2002, 07:16 AM
I know that Chris (pocilipora) had some pictures of it happening in his tank.

I think I remember reading that generally only large, mature colonies will spawn. I mean large as in bigger then what most of us have in our tanks. I have also heard of corals spawning as a stressed responce to a sudden change in conditions.

Do a search on RC and you should find lots of info.

reefburnaby
11-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I had two spawnings happen in my old 20 gallon...not good in such a small tank. That week was water change galore....

- Victor.

Son Of Skyline
11-07-2002, 11:39 PM
Sweet! I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought. Is this spawning ever actually successful?

One_Divided
11-08-2002, 12:39 AM
Look at Shao's cleaning magnet. Grown from a poccilipora bud/planulae.

http://members.shaw.ca/smokinreefer/magfloat.jpg

I haven' heard of acropora spawning succesfully in captivity, but I'm sure its happened.

pocilipora
11-08-2002, 03:44 AM
The pocillopora piece that Shao has is from polyp bail out. Its not uncomon in this type of coral. It is not a form of spawning.
But yes I did have a Large acro that has spawned several times. Its always happened at night, but nothing ever grew from it. I could always tell in the morning before I would go to work that a spawn happened because you can smell it. Extreme fishy smell, and the skimmer would not be working.

EmilyB
11-08-2002, 05:03 AM
Well, when my male BTA's spawned.....it smelled like a whorehouse in here... :lol:

Canadian Man
11-08-2002, 05:27 AM
Well, when my male BTA's spawned.....it smelled like a whorehouse in here...

Good one deb, My snail spawns smell very similar.
pewwwwww! :P

pocilipora
11-08-2002, 05:28 AM
Hmmm, Ive never been. :D :) :lol:

Delphinus
11-09-2002, 06:08 AM
I'm with Chris, I was just gonna say .... I'll have to take your guy's word for it. :D

Chris, what is polyp bail out?

pocilipora
11-09-2002, 06:56 AM
Just from what Ive read , its caused by toxins in the water or low oxygen levels. The polyp will actually "bail out" and settle somewhere else in the aquarium. So I guess in a way it is a form of reproduction.