PDA

View Full Version : seafood smell

niloc16
01-27-2007, 09:17 PM
i need some help. my wife says that when she enters the room with the fish tank it smells like a seafood shop, our 55 gallon never smelled like that. has anyone else ever had this. i was curious if it is because the tank is still maturing? it has only been running for a month with lighting and is going through a small diatom bloom. my 55 gallon never smelled like this when it went through algae blooms but i was thinking because of the shear volume of it all. it is a 265g with a 75g sump. i recently mounted a cooling fan on the sump and the stand has an open back design but even if the fan was circulating the air out of the stand, i didnt think the tank was suppose to smell of seafood. i've tested all the parameters and everything seems fine. anyone else had this situation or any advice on how to fix it before the wife freaks.

Renegade
01-27-2007, 10:09 PM
carbon ?? i know my skimmer stinks when its collection cup is not changed every day or so

Kyle

niloc16
01-27-2007, 10:14 PM
i've been cleaning it every day and i'm running carbon in the sump

Farrmanchu
01-27-2007, 11:43 PM
FRESH Carbon?

Tangman
01-27-2007, 11:58 PM
How about carbon filtering the air vents on the skimmer ?

Chin_Lee
01-28-2007, 12:05 AM
don't worry .... her olfactory nerves will get acustom to it sooner or later.,,, my wife had the same complaint..... not any more :mrgreen: but carbon does help

niloc16
01-28-2007, 12:26 AM
i havent tried carbon on top of the skimmer, i just put fresh carbon in the sump 3 days ago. i was replacing it every month but was just told to replace it every 2 weeks. i hope she gets used to it quick chin, or i may have to live at your place. :lol:

bullit67
01-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Colin

Have you tryed shutting down your fans for a couple of days to see if it goes away

skylord
01-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Is there anyway you can add a vent to the outside with an exhaust fan?

G1GY
01-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Just leave a dead fish in the corner of the room for a few days and when you get rid of it.......... voila the problem is gone! :)

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2007, 02:47 AM
Ask her if it's a dead fish smell or a salt water smell. If it's just the salt water/ocean smell that's a good thing... if it's a dead fish smell.. well that's not so good.

Doug

niloc16
01-28-2007, 04:32 AM
so today i did shut down my fans for a couple hours and she could still smell it but not as bad only when she got to the tank. but the fans are essential because the temp climbs too high. we just talked today about our options of venting outside, so i'm going to look into some ideas there. all around it would be good to vent it outside not only for smell but for humidity as well. i still think the smell is coming from the skimmer cup so i'm going to think of a way to mount carbon to the top to try and absorb some of the smell.

bullit67
01-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Why dont you put the fans in the canopy I just installed mine I will cut a couple holes in the canopy in the future it let in some fresh air I am also looking into venting out side the house for the same reasons getting rid of some heat and humidity. keep me posted on what you find out

Doug

Tangman
01-28-2007, 05:01 PM
so today i did shut down my fans for a couple hours and she could still smell it but not as bad only when she got to the tank. but the fans are essential because the temp climbs too high. we just talked today about our options of venting outside, so i'm going to look into some ideas there. all around it would be good to vent it outside not only for smell but for humidity as well. i still think the smell is coming from the skimmer cup so i'm going to think of a way to mount carbon to the top to try and absorb some of the smell.

Yes, Venting is a must, when it comes to large tanks. Just as important as lighting, skimmers, reactors, etc..should have been included in your plan form the start. In with fresh air and out with stinky, humid, hot, Co2 enriched air.
I know I have to up grade my venting system aswell now that I have all my cabinetry almost finished