PDA

View Full Version : Needing a Reef Society

zulu_principle
11-07-2002, 04:51 AM
Hello All:

Just finished reviewing an email from Anthony Calfo, ( http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?page=bk-corals.shtml&&cart_id= ), he will be going to the Pudget Sound Aquarium in the first quarter of next year and was hoping to bring him to Vancouver for a Reef Meeting. Met him and hear him speak at MACNA in Dallas and he has some invaluable insights into corals, propagation and the marine hobby in general. Other candidates that may be available include Eric Borneman or Bob Fenner

I will be establishing a Reef Society in Vancouver under the MASNA (Marine Aquarium Societies of North America) flag in the near future and need:

1. Members: the benefits and the cost of membership I will outline in the near future: discounts, newsletter, monthly meetings, frag swaps, etc.

and

2. Indivduals interested in serving on the Reef Society, President, Secretary, Treasurer, etc.

If anyone is interested please let me know by private email.

Thanks

Wendell

zulu_principle
11-12-2002, 07:55 AM
Fellow Aquarists:

The response I have received has been, lackluster at best. So 2 responded, and another by phone, and other at the fishroom on Sunday were upbeat, BUT...........

After speaking with Todd Todaro, from the Brookyln Aquarium Society, he said it would be hard work.

The retailers don't understand it, they think we will take away from there business, but if we don't educate we can not appreciate.

After attending MACNA and meeting the likes of Bob Fenner, Anthony Calfo, Julian Sprung, Eric Borneman, Martin Moe you guys are really missing out on some vital "education" that we spend a premium for on when we buy books and take our time to research on the net.

I'm starting this up, was just looking for some others who would assist from the area and who are represented on this board.

Wendell

Acro
11-12-2002, 02:27 PM
Wendall,

I wish you the best of luck with this project. As it won't come easy. Do I think it's a good idea? With out a doubt, awesome idea. If a seminar or workshop was your plan then people will come. Somebody like yourself just needs to take the bull by the horns. I'm sure their are others that would like to come to the forfront and be of great assistance. I myself like to sit on the back burner but if there is a small role that I could help out in feel free to contact me.

mutabaruka
11-13-2002, 01:32 AM
8) Wendell, I still think this would be a great thing to do. It is too bad there was a lacklustre response. I am willing to do whatever I can to get it going. Maybe we can get these laid back BC'ers off their rusty-dusty's!

naesco
11-13-2002, 01:55 AM
I fully support Zulu.
Perhaps we can move this thread to the main forum where it will be better read, please.

StirCrazy
11-13-2002, 02:04 AM
I fully support Zulu.
Perhaps we can move this thread to the main forum where it will be better read, please.

I think this is the proper place for it and concidering it already has 90+ views it is being better read.

I myself am for this but being a islander I will refrain from pertisapating in any of the organization or such.. it is to expensive for us to atend meatings and such on a regular basis. ( I am sure I am not the only one in this boat)

Steve

pocilipora
11-13-2002, 04:14 AM
If you build it, they will come!! If its a meeting or something like that count me in. These people have a wealth of info to share. But I too like the back burner.
Theres has to be someone here that would help. Good luck :) :D

naesco
11-13-2002, 04:30 AM
Sorry Stir but I don't agree.
I have been lucky to visit 5 or 6 MACNA meetings in the US and have heard many of the speakers Zulu refers to.
It is a once in a lifetime chance to go one on one with some of these guys.
Although it is nearly impossible to afford to go to a Dallas convention with the US dollar etc. it is a slam dunk decision for reefers from the Island and Alberta to pile in a car a make those meetings where the top reefers will be speaking.
I think we might get a little more exposure on the main forum.

StirCrazy
11-13-2002, 04:39 AM
Sorry Stir but I don't agree.
I have been lucky to visit 5 or 6 MACNA meetings in the US and have heard many of the speakers Zulu refers to.
It is a once in a lifetime chance to go one on one with some of these guys.
Although it is nearly impossible to afford to go to a Dallas convention with the US dollar etc. it is a slam dunk decision for reefers from the Island and Alberta to pile in a car a make those meetings where the top reefers will be speaking.
I think we might get a little more exposure on the main forum.

I am not talking about the "Special" events but rather the regular monthly meatings, I am sorry to say that if there were 12 meatings a year and 4 of them had special guest speakers.. thoes 4 are mostlikely the only ones I would be atending.. now having said that I would probably still be a menber and suport with my dues.

Steve

Aquattro
11-13-2002, 04:40 AM
I'm a follower also. If you build something to join, I'll sign up. With family and other commitments, I don't have time to devote to administration, but meetings are always fun. And if we can get the "Pros" to visit, all the better

naesco
11-13-2002, 04:50 AM
Great Stir, reef raf

It is important to let Zulu know as he needs to know the level of interest including who might have some time to help.

Would you Islanders and Albertan's come if guys like Shimak, Fenner, and Julian Sprung?
Trust me. It is worth even an air trip to see one of Scott Michaels famous slide presentations. Unbelievable!!!! Outstanding!!! Unforgettalbe!!!

Interested???

Let zulu know.

BC_Grl
11-13-2002, 05:07 AM
I agree with StirCrazy.
As much as I would love to become a member (with dues etc...) it is way too costly for us to come over to the Mainland. Think of it this way: Rachel (Sea Gnome) had an Island Meeting. How many Mainlanders went? How many contacted her about coming over? None. It is easy for you to say, "come on over, the speaker is the best," but you don't have come over here to do it. I would only go to the ones with a speaker and the occasional other one.

But please don't get me wrong: I think it is a fantastic idea and if I could convince my husband to move over (Not!), I would be almost first in line.

zulu_principle
11-13-2002, 05:16 AM
Interesting points you raise, one of these issues was covered in a conversation I had with the President of the Brooklyn Aquarium Society they have 10 meetings a year, half are for salt water and half are for fresh water.

5 Meetings a year would be a possibility, and try to get 2 great speakers and share the expenses with the Pudget Sound Aquarium Society when they are doing talks in those areas.

Educating Aquarists in this form, works.

Thanks for the input.

Wendell

reefburnaby
11-13-2002, 05:49 AM
Hi,

Here's the Reef Club in Toronto : http://www.mastcanada.org/

This should give potential members an idea of what to expect.

- Victor.