PDA

View Full Version : A pair of mantis shrimp 4 sale

Skimmer Juice
01-27-2007, 02:05 AM
I was at oceans today and they had a pair of mantis shrimp for sale, if anyone is interested.

Fish
01-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Do you know what kind of mantis they are?

- Chad

OCDP
01-27-2007, 08:41 PM
This is just a guess as per rudy's post but ...

"Ones at the shops in Calgary are all Chiragra...." Couldn't tell ya if that's completely true or not, though.

Cheers. ;)

rudy
01-28-2007, 02:55 AM
This is just a guess as per rudy's post but ...

"Ones at the shops in Calgary are all Chiragra...." Couldn't tell ya if that's completely true or not, though.

Cheers. ;)

It't true I assure you. The female is the white one and the male is the green.

Nice mantis, but they are hard hitting and get very large. 40 gallon for life for one of these guys.

As well I hope they don't sell them as a pair....They will last until one of them molts and then the honeymoon will be over.

Fish
01-28-2007, 04:43 AM
I guess it helps when the local mantis expert shows up.

Rudy do you know where a guy can buy a peacock?

Thanks,

_ Chad

rudy
01-28-2007, 04:47 AM
I would prepay at Ocean City Chad.

They brought in 6 peacocks! All were nice, big but unfortunately DOA. I saw them in the freezer. Absolute shame.

They seem to be getting more inverts than anyone else these days.

Fish
01-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Thanks bro, I will give them a try.

- Chad

Richard_Dicosimo
01-28-2007, 08:04 AM
i bought an 8" peacock from golds a couple of months ago it was a monster.

Richard

Moogled
01-28-2007, 08:34 AM
How is that peacock doing now, Richard?

Fish
01-28-2007, 03:39 PM
He's talking about it in the past tense so I was wondering too...

Do you have any pictures of it?

- Chad

Richard_Dicosimo
01-28-2007, 07:43 PM
went fishing with my dad and my mom was looking after my tank for 2 weeks came back and she said he had died and my girlfriend had flushed him... and my girlfriend knows enough about the tanks to not throw out what looks dead and what is actually dead.

i don't know why he died, everything else in the tank was fine hermits corals and damsels so I'm not sure. he had always molted fine so i doubt it was an iodine deficiency. so i have no idea i have since taken that tank down.

Richard

rudy
01-29-2007, 02:02 PM
I will tell you there is no mantis like a peacock (as far as personality). Mine literally runs out of his cave as soon as I get to work to see me. They are just hilarious. I have had three however and this one is the smallest I have ever got and if you can I would reccomend getting them smaller as they seem to develop more of a fascination with their owners at this size.

Richard_Dicosimo
01-29-2007, 10:52 PM
my experiences where very similar. They are very intelligent creatures too i have seen videos of them misleading divers away from thier dens. mine would watch me whenever i was in the room it was like a reverse fish tank. he watched me more then i watched him.

Richard

Fish
01-30-2007, 12:18 AM
That sounds awesome.
Do you mind keeping an eye out for one for me Rudy?
My next mantis will be named Mac... Ike and Mac were two german shepards that my grandpa kept when I was a little kid... I'm pretty sure there were named after Eisenhower and Macarthur???

- Chad

Skimmer Juice
02-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Richard, sorry to hear about you shrimp. I love my shrimp, he is the main reason I got into salt water. I got an 8 inch peacock aswell, I have had him for about a year and a hlf now. I would take a pick, but he is getting ready to molt and he always digs a new cave before and the tank is cloudy I will try to get a pic of him tomorow.