PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9010 skimmer

Doug
01-26-2007, 10:43 PM
I decided to purchase the Tunze 9010 skimmer for my new 90, as its had great reviews and I wanted to go sumpless, although this skimmer can be put in a sump. Purchased it from JL. Price is fine for a Tunze product, just wish I had purchased it when on sale @ boxing day. :lol: I was a day late.

I played with it in my coral holding tub but placed it in the tank today after I finished moving the stock.

Easy to set up and install. Holding brackets are the usual Tunze puzzle, :lol: , but I,ve had experience from my stream pumps. :lol: Very impressive large cup, which come out in a sec for cleaning, including the foam neck, which is part of the cup.

Looks fine in the tank, like a typical corner overflow. Pics are after a couple hrs. Easy air adjust & easy to control the water intake from full bore to full critter friendly re-circ. mode.

I will have more review later, after the skimmer has some time on it and a couple more pics.

marie
01-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Would it be possible to see a picture of it sitting in the tank? How far above the tank does the cup sit?

Doug
01-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Marie, its 3.5 in. from the top of the frame on the tank to the top of the cup. I will try get a pic for you later today.

Doug
01-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I tried a couple pics Marie. Having problems with window glare & light. Hope these will give you an idea anyways. Forgive the flash in one but wanted more light for the pic. :smile:

marie
01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks Doug :biggrin: . I have a remora pro on my tank that is viewed from 3 sides and I wanted to replace it with something less ugly. It's a toss up between the deltec or the tunze.

Raf
01-28-2007, 05:48 PM
i guess if u have glass tops, using this skimmer would produce issues....i figure you would have to get them custom cut?

marie
02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Doug, how is this skimmer working out?

Doug
02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi Marie,
Its working great so far. I will post more later tonight or tomm. morning, as I have to go out.

Doug
03-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Just an update. The skimmer is running fine. It skims well but not as wet as others say. I may have a block or kink in the air feed tube, which I will check out soon during its transfer.

They say the 9010 cup, because its shorted, skims pretty wet if the air is run near full. Thats the advantage of the 9015 with the larger cup, allowing for a higher foam climb and a drier foam if desired.

I still dump about 200mm every few day of good dark stink crud. My 90g is looking just fine, {to bad I sold it}. The skimmer is very quiet and I still think no more obtrusive than corner overflows. Most likely the easiet cup to dump & clean.

Of course, it does not skim as much as any of my becketts did but it does skim as much as my 24in. by 6in. Euroreef, and my largest of the Super skimmers types did.

Doug
03-17-2007, 12:04 AM
I will be able to review its operation with the attachments and in a sump. When my 30 is back from drilling, it will feed a 20g sump, w/the Tunze in it.

marie
03-17-2007, 01:08 AM
How far off on the ratings would you say they are. I think the skimmer you have is supposed to be rated for "up to 240g". would you use that skimmer on a larger tank?

Doug
03-17-2007, 02:24 PM
How far off on the ratings would you say they are. I think the skimmer you have is supposed to be rated for "up to 240g". would you use that skimmer on a larger tank?

Not sure if I can answer, as its only been on a very light load 90. If I could have kept the 90 and increased the load as planned, I would have a better idea. So far, { I need more time with it}, I would not hesitate to use it on a tank larger than my 90 but dont know how much larger, {guess it would depend on load, corals & feedings}.

As mentioned, it skimmed as well as my Euroreef F-1 did and the largest tank I ran it on was a 170. Being as I have ran large skimmers on large tanks, I personally would not run a large tank now, without using a multiple pump needle wheel or a large beckett. Despite what many skimmers are rated for, they can compete with the water volume & foam generation of those skimmers.

But then the skimmer, pump & power cost is way higher. So far, {and again its early}, I prefer my Tunze for its cost, power consumption, ease of use & skimming, over any other comparable skimmers I have owned. Plus I,m hoping the Tunze quality and Turbelle pump longevity, come through as advertised.

andresont
03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks Doug :biggrin: . I have a remora pro on my tank that is viewed from 3 sides and I wanted to replace it with something less ugly. It's a toss up between the deltec or the tunze.

If you like, i can post some pics of HOB Deltec running on My 60 gal tank.
Just PM me cause i dont keep track of thread postings.

Buddyboy
03-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi Doug!

You got rid of your new 90G tank? What happened???

Also, can you post some pics of your new setup and the Tunze in the 20G sump whenever possible? I'm looking to setup something very similar. I was thinking i'd go with either a Tunze 9010, an AquaC Urchin or Deltec MC500 as they have a small footprint. A 20G sump doesn't give you alot of room to work with! Will you have a fuge in there as well?

Thanks! :)

Slick Fork
03-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I added a sump to my 100 gallon set-up about 2 weeks ago and stuck my 9010 inside.

In my experience, placing the skimmer into the sump doubled it's output. I think I've only had mine a week longer than doug has (judging by his original post) and I'm thrilled with mine as well!

Oh yeah, as far as the rated size goes... if you check out the tunze website they give you a guide. This skimmer is only rated for 240 gallons if it's a softie tank, if you want to keep lps you gotta knock that number down (can't recall the percent) and if you want to keep sps they recommend knocking the number down to 60%

Doug
03-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi Doug!
You got rid of your new 90G tank? What happened???

:cry: Yea sad. To much water volume, {evaporation}, for our new place and just to large for the room its in. Running central exaust to much, {removing heat}, in the cold months. We shut down our 30g freshwater planted tank & downsized the reef. {Note- Make sure a new place has an HRV installed, as my last few did}. :smile:

Also, can you post some pics of your new setup and the Tunze in the 20G sump whenever possible? I'm looking to setup something very similar. I was thinking i'd go with either a Tunze 9010, an AquaC Urchin or Deltec MC500 as they have a small footprint. A 20G sump doesn't give you alot of room to work with! Will you have a fuge in there as well?
Thanks! :)

I will do. I dont have much room under the stand, as it was not really sump designed. It will be covered, with exception of the skimmer, so no 'fuge. I will have a thread in the journal soon. All though I have not used the others you mentioned, I did read many threads related to them and decided the Tunze product was best for me.

Doug
03-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I added a sump to my 100 gallon set-up about 2 weeks ago and stuck my 9010 inside.

In my experience, placing the skimmer into the sump doubled it's output. I think I've only had mine a week longer than doug has (judging by his original post) and I'm thrilled with mine as well!

Great to hear. :smile:

Doug
04-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Since running it in the sump while my 30 was up and now back in my 50g tank while I repair the 30, I would have to say, mine skims much better in tank than in the sump, unless I had something not set right in the sump.

Doug
05-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Just an update. I had seen a post on the Tunze forum, in regards to the bottom plate and sump use. I dont know if that was my problem or some other. However, while awaiting my cube, I took my Tunze apart and cleaned it, then put it back together for sump use, as per the pics in that thread.

I then placed it, sitting on some rock, in the holding tub, where my livestock is. Well, is it ever skimming. Perhaps the best I have seen it skim since its purchase.

I will take the sump pics, as soon as its set up that way.

Doug
06-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Skimmer operation in the sump mode. This pic is several hrs after cleaning. I can dump between 100ml to 200ml per day, in my lightly loaded tub.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/medium/skimmer2.jpg

marie
06-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I wasn't getting that much skimmate in a week from my berlin xl on my 175g (which is why the tank is now skimmerless :lol: )

Buddyboy
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Hey Doug,

Do you have an update on how your Tunze 9010 is working out for you? Is the performance adequate? Anybody else have any experiences with this skimmer?

I have a small 15G sump and this might do the trick.

Thanks in advance! :)

Doug
09-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Mine is still running just fine. Skims well and so easy to dump & clean. I,m running it in tank again, on my 90. It worked well when I had a sump, just had to make sure it was together correct and the water intake was clean.

The intank feature was the main reason for my purchase and I,m a fan of Tunze . I dont think it skims any better than a decent needle wheel though, like SWC {Octopus} or a Euroreef. However, price would be a consideration.

For my needs, I,m happy with it though. It skims better when the cup it kept pretty clean, so I dump mine every couple days. As with my stream pump, the mounting brackets make one scratch their head. :lol: But not needed in sump. Its also pretty simple to take apart for pump cleaning but some attention needs to be paid to re-assembly.

StirCrazy
09-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Next time you clean it can you take some pics of it apart? I want to see wat you mean by the neck comes out.

Steve

Doug
09-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok. It stays attached to the cup portion. That way you wipe it all down. I will take some pics.

Doug
09-18-2007, 11:29 PM
1st. is skimmer during normal operation.

2nd. is skimmer with cup removed, and the neck which is attached to the cup. Skimmer is left running which helps clean the air injection system, although I usually cover it with a small lid to keep the spray down.

3rd. is the cup with attached neck. Just dump and clean with my brush. It just sits back in, no thumbscrews, locking thingys or other devices. :smile:

nanopodreefer
11-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I am considering this skimmer, really like all the photos thanks, can you tell us the measurement of the cup plus the bubble chamber (height) when you remove it. I will put mine in a small cabinet and am wondering about the head clearance with removing the cup, thanks.

Doug
11-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Hope this helps. It takes 3 1/2in. of lift, to remove the cup. I would guess you could then slide it over and lower it a bit to bring it out. About 4in. of clearance would be better to work in. I remember a thread on RC, where Rodger talked about hood clearance. If I find it, I will post a link for you, although this pic should give you the info you need. :smile:

nanopodreefer
11-20-2007, 06:42 PM
everytime i click the link for the pic it tells me to log in, which i do, correctly, and then it tells me to log in again, can you post the pic in the thread? thanks for the responce, it helps a lot..

Doug
11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/medium/tank5.jpg

nanopodreefer
11-20-2007, 11:11 PM
that is exactly what i needed, thank you!! :)

andresont
11-22-2007, 07:52 AM
everytime i click the link for the pic it tells me to log in, which i do, correctly, and then it tells me to log in again, can you post the pic in the thread? thanks for the responce, it helps a lot..

Some times deleting files & cookies helps.
click on:
tools/internet options/delete files and /delete cookies.
HTH