PDA

View Full Version : Donation to Douglas College

Chad
01-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I am helping Douglas College set up a Reef aquarium for their Biology Lab. Currently I am donating a 20gal tank w/ Lights, LR and some initial Softies, like mushrooms, leathers etc.

However, I do not have a heater or few circulation pumps, like a Maxi jet etc. Also, need some sand or similar substrate for them to use.

If anyone might be interested in donating something that you think might be useful for them, please send me a PM.

I don't imagine we would get any recognition BTW. This is just out of pure kindness I am putting this together for them, and I think it would be cool for their marine biology students. * FYI, I am a biology student at Douglas college atm *

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Best Regards

Chad

Chad
01-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Wow, you mean no one has anything they are willing to give up to a worthy institution that educates the leaders and thinkers of our future? hmmm.

Canadbis
01-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I would Chad but you live to far away.
GL to you

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2007, 03:49 AM
Chad, I'll donate a heater, and maybe a powerhead if I can. What size heater do you want?

Doug

psuedo
01-28-2007, 05:03 AM
I am suprised that there is no monies available through the college for something like this. I know that there is a marine biology class that is a 5.5 credit course offered there, and I am sure that if you were to prepare a document and present it to the dean stating why this would possibly help any students in this course he would be more than willing to entertain your ideas and give you another avenue to possibly fund this tank.

You would have to explain that during all this process all the students would be able to see any chemical changes in the tank and how different fish and invertebrates react to these changes( I am not saying that you would subject any animals to bad conditions) first hand, and be able to document them.

Just an idea...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Chad,

if you post a more specific list of what they need, there may be more response. (ie. what type of substrate)

Anthony

canadawest
01-28-2007, 09:33 AM
I've got a salt pail full of mixed substrate (crushed coral, sugar, aragamax) that you are welcome to take.

Just PM or e-mail me to make arrangements.

Chad
01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Actualy, you'd be amazed on how much the college depends on donations. I've been talking with the faculty. They wouldn't be able to do it without a bit of help. Sure, it doesn't seem to be a lot of money, but the long term costs of operating it is quite a bit, and this is what they must deal with. In my opinion every little bit we can help out with is a small price to pay to educate our future. Besides, I don't have to jump through any hoops if we simply donate. Its done, its clean and you feel good for helping out a college :) and they feel good for having something cool for the marine biology department.

Anyways, as for a list;

What I have for them so far:

-20 Gal tank
-55w PC lighting Ballast (no bulb)
-enough LR to fill the tank
-a few softies
-some cheateo

What is still needed:

-A heater (probably no more than a 150w) something for a 20gal
-A power head or two. Old maxi jet 600 or 900 Something good for a 20gal softy tank
-Some substrate. A nice mixture like Canadawest has offered is perfect.
-Maybe some more softies, leathers, Xenia etc 1x specimen is probably more than enough.

I'll PM those that have offered and update the list.

Thanks to those who have expressed interest.

Midknight
01-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I have some Xeina for donation. Just tell me where to bring it.
And some Star paulps also.